birding-aus

Balangara

To: <>
Subject: Balangara
From: Mike Honeyman <>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:28:07 +1100
Hi Paul

I've been careful (I hope!) not to say that I think Mark / Balangara have complied with the Act, just that you could read (into the guidelines at least) that what Mark had done was okay. Or at least understand how he thought what he had done was okay.

I don't know, but my suspicion is, he thought he was doing the right thing and we would be grateful to be informed about the project - but clearly he has not quite hit the mark. In the same way no-one here can be sure that Mark deliberately set out to flout the Act in order to promote his project. The intended point of my post, that you have taken the time to add you experience to, is that the law isn't always easy to interpret, confusion often reigns, and the 'clear' illegality of the promotion might not seem so clear in the hands of a good lawyer - but I hope that the ire of people on the forum does not lead to that being tested.

I take your point about 'slippery slopes' but I'm still surprised at the tone of some replies, recommending boycotts and suggesting those of us that decided to contribute to the project may never see our money again (or the DVD we expect to have paid for), which is what I was getting at with the 'mean spirited' reference.

Thanks for you efforts to explain the Act.

Cheers

mjh