birding-aus

Balanagara ???

To: <>
Subject: Balanagara ???
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 23:53:55 +1100
All rather strange, I thought this was a communication channel for people
interested in birds and possibly even bird related products or opportunities
to contribute. Odd to have a detailed discussion about legislation and
litigation. Why would anyone bother?

I receive about 5 to 10 scam / spam emails every day. Nothing to do with
Birding-Aus. These are annoying but just part of having internet. I delete
them off the server before they reach my computer. So what? I survive.

I think we can consider the occasional item about birding products. It would
really REALLY annoy me if I found out after the event that I was deprived of
the knowledge or an opportunity to participate in this venture (if indeed I
wanted to) because of an overzealous interpretation of "the Spam Act 2003".
If that was to happen that really would be a reason to unsubscribe from
birding-aus.

As for the last suggestion by Paul, that is just crazy. That would mean in
effect that all of us would not be permitted to send unsolicited messages
individually (off line) to any members of the list on any item that we
thought would be of interest or relevance to just that person or a small
number of people. I for one often send a message to just one or a few people
on items that appeared (for a whole range of possible reasons) suitable to
just one or a few people. I do that as a courtesy to not involve everyone.
Paul's suggestion would mean that in every case where we obtain an email
address from birding-aus, we would need to send every such message to the
list and thus to everyone (in order to not bypass the birding-aus moderation
system), even when the messages are of no relevance to the great majority of
people on the list.

Perfect example: a few days ago a regular contributor accidentally typed
"west" instead of "east" in referring to a location of an observation.
Following Paul's idea, I would not have been permitted to privately send my
unsolicited email to this person to ask or clarify about what turned out to
be just a trivial wording error. This because I obtained the email address
via birding-aus. I would need to instead send my unsolicited email to the
list, which would be a total over reaction and an annoyance and waste of
time for everyone else. I was told that no one else had commented on the
little error.

Philip