birding-aus

Trip Report – Part Two: Northern Victoria 13-14th November, 2011

Subject: Trip Report – Part Two: Northern Victoria 13-14th November, 2011
From: Mike Honeyman <>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:25:29 +1100

Having left Gluepot we made the most of Sunday afternoon by driving straight to Hattah. We successfully picked up the tricky to see Mallee Emu-wren on the Nowingi Track before heading into the park proper. Compared to Gluepot Hattah seemed relatively quiet, albeit it was getting late in the day: there were a few parrots: Red-rumped, Ringneck, Mulga, Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, Galah and Long-billed Corella. Highlights were a couple of Emu, and the first Pied Butcherbird of the trip. There were large groups of Black-tailed Native Hen, and a big family of Apostlebirds at the Lake Hattah campground. We cruised along the Old Calder Highway track a couple of times hoping for Malleefowl, but no luck so drove to Sea Lake for the night. First thing on Monday we checked out Lake Tyrrel, which was also very quiet. A few Singing Honeyeaters, groups of White-winged Fairy-wren in the salt bush, a Nankeen Kestrel and a couple of Blue Bonnets were all we picked up (though if we’d seen Hedley and Irena Earl’s report from Sunday we might have scoped the lake a bit more thoroughly!) Unfortunately we also saw a Fox. Next stop was Goschen Bushland Reserve, which was buzzing with activity despite its small size. We’d barely got out of the car and we saw Black Honeyeater, and quickly added Masked and White-browed Woodswallow, White-winged Triller, Budgerigar, White-browed Babbler, Brown Treecreeper, Yellow Rosella, Hooded Robin, Singing and White- plumed Honeyeater. Highlights were Black-eared Cuckoo and a male Pied Honeyeater. We passed some Cockatiels as we drove along the Ultima- Lake Boga Road. A brief stop at Round Lake added a few water birds including Black Swan, Musk Duck and Great Crested Grebe. As we drove along on the way back south we glanced at the farm dams but the most any had were Wood Ducks. We did pick up more raptors along the road though – Wedge Tailed Eagle, Black Kite, Black- shouldered Kite, Whistling Kite, Nankeen Kestrel and Brown Falcon!

There ends the trip report from three Poms in Oz : )

Cheers

Tony Keene, Ed Williams, Mike Honeyman