birding-aus

OBP article

To: Glenn Ehmke <>
Subject: OBP article
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:11:25 +1000
As I recall from a zoology lecture last year, many animals are more likely
to have male babies when they're in good condition and females when they are
in worse condition.  Apparently the kakapo breeding program in NZ was almost
entirely getting males until they realised this and found that if they fed
the birds less, especially in the lead up to mating, they would get more
females.

The general explanation is that for animals where one male fathers children
with many females, only the best males become fathers, so it's best to have
male babies when you're in the best condition, so that they'll be in the
best condition too.  On the other hand females usually mate regardless of
their condition, so if you're not in the best condition, it's better to have
females.  Of course this is just a trend, not a rule.

I also recall that the kakapo has a fairly unique breeding system, and I
don't know if OBPs have a dominate male kind of system.  It wouldn't
surprise me if the remaining birds do get a lot of food when they breed in
Tassie though, since there is a feeding station and not much interspecies
food competition.  Perhaps it is an area that needs research.

Jeremy O'Wheel