birding-aus

binocular upgrade

To: <>, <>
Subject: binocular upgrade
From: Hannah Busch <>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:36:19 +1000
Hi Gavin,
I purchased a pair of Leupold "Green Ring Cascades" a number of years ago and
have been very happy with them. People who pick them up are fairly impressed
with the feel and performance.
They have recently been superseded by the BX-2 model, and we purchased a pair
from the US for about $250. I paid $600 in Aus in 2009.
More details can be found here:
http://www.leupold.com/observation/products/binoculars/bx-2-cascades-series/bx-2-cascades-8x42mm/My
 reasons for choosing them: light weight, water proof, fully multi coated
lenses, 8x magnification (not too strong as to require a tripod), 42 aperture
(for low light).
Shops in Aus may still stock the Green Ring Cascades, but you would need to
call around to find a pair.  They are usually only stocked by archery or
hunting shops, as Leupold is a rifle scope brand.
I found this website useful when trying to work out what I needed in terms of
binocular specifications for birding: http://www.opticsplanet.net/binbirds.html#
Hannah