birding-aus

OBP article

To: David James <>, Debbie Lustig <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: OBP article
From: Glenn Ehmke <>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:00:58 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks David, I’ll read up on the Mauritius Kestrel, sounds very interesting.

The genetic explanation certainly sounds feasible given how few birds there are
left now.

Some NZ friends also pointed out to me that gender bias can have a purely
ecological cause - e.g. Kaka which apparently have a male skewed ratio in many
areas because females are much more exposed to predation at nests. In that case
the bias is "the cause" of the population crash rather than a symptom of it,
which is why I wondered how long the gender bias has been apparent in OBPs...

Glenn