birding-aus

Discussion: Local versus central birding info

To: "" <>
Subject: Discussion: Local versus central birding info
From: Bas Hensen <>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 20:24:42 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Colin and others

I beg to differ with Colin: local info sites are very useful, but a central
site/register, in which these sites are listed would be a good idea.  A free
and open Yahoogroups site like ntbirds is certainly not semi-private, even
though it was started by a single individual, in this case Niven McCrie.  If
anything it is more open than the Eremaea birdlines ( NSW , NT etc.), or lists,
because the senders email address is shown, and requests for further
information can be sent either directly, bypassing the site, or via the notice
board so that every subscriber sees it.  If you do not want to clutter up your
inbox with birding info from several sites, on top of personal email, the easy
answer is to open a free Yahoo, or other account, and direct only the selected
info line, say ntbirds , to it.

As a regular NT visitor I have 1880 unread messages in my mail box, of a total
of almost 5000, accumulated since 2004 (Yahoo must have plenty of storage
capacity).  While in Sydney I do not check my inbox too often, hence the unread
mail.  It is  possible to search one's accumulated mails, so the inbox is an
accessible archive of all messages since subscription, and becomes a mine of
information.

Cheers   Bas Hensen