birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 12 Sep 2011 01:30:48 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Sep 2011.

Sun 11 Sep Buff-Banded Rail 8 Ambrose Crt Mt Gambier Sth Aust 5291
A pair of these birds have been observed by our large private pond and nesting in the surrounding long green grass. They have been observed daily for about a fortnight since start of Sept., 2011.
Bob & Kerry Rowe

Fri 9 Sep Painted Button-quail Langhorne Creek Cemetery Reserve
Painted Button-quail (2). Walking around the perimeter of the cemetery two quail flew up in front of me and one hit the top wire of the fence and come down with concussion. Bird was collected and placed in among tufted grass out of the way of ants and birds of prey to recover.
Samantha Greiner

Black Falcon Strathalbyn Sewage Ponds
Black Falcon (5) 'old coloured'. Pair with 3 (very dark) ready to fledge young in large gum -about the first big gum on the east side of road as you turn off the bitumen to the right and 3-4 trees off the walkway into the 'poo farm' hide. Would be good if a fellow birder could go and double check my identification.
Samantha Greiner

Tue 6 Sep Black-tailed Native-hen Banrock Station - Wine & Wetlands Centre
100+ So many of these I stopped counting, typical 'bush chook' behaviour; ran away as soon as I was spotted.
Samantha Greiner

White-breasted Woodswallow Waikerie Township
White-breasted Woodswallow (20) flew into town late afternoon circled the petrol station couple of times, making filling up hard!
Samantha Greiner

Mon 5 Sep Blue-billed Duck NPEC (Nuriootpa) Waste Water Treatment Plant
Blue-billed Duck (1) Male, head turned down between wings, despite watching for a good 5 mins. did not look up - 'fanned' tail obvious
David Hartland

Black-chinned Honeyeater Private Residence, Gawler East
Black-chinned Honeyeater (2) Finally sighted 2nd bird in what I believe to be a breeding pair. Keeping to thick cover of Eucalyptus leucoxylon, the same tree where individual bird was seen/heard calling loudly several weeks previous. Both birds keeping in close proximity, presumed to be nesting in this tree somewhere in its dense canopy. Magpie Lark is nesting 30-50cm from where the 2 BCH's hang about - one BCH seen taking a grub of some sort from mud-nest of Magpie Lark, only to be chased off with grub in bill!
David Hartland

Fri 26 Aug Malleefowl Billiatt Conservation Park
Malleefowl (1) After seeing one near Wyperfeld the day before, I was very surprised to see another today in the daytime trying to cross the road, but change its mind when I slowed down and looked at it.
Samantha Greiner

Sat 13 Aug White-throated Gerygone Mungerannie Wetland
White-throated Gerygone (1) Juvenile bird seen well in young trees and acacias on approach to main dune south of campground and roadhouse.
Michael Wood

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.