birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 22 Aug 2011 01:30:13 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 21 Aug 2011.

Sat 20 Aug Little Egret (?) dark morph Coombabah Swamp, Gold Coast, Qld , Queensland
Another image
Tony Bailey per Mike Carter

Thu 18 Aug Little Egret (dark morph) Coombabah Swamp, Gold Coast, Queensland
Rare dark morph known from Asia but not apparently from Australia
Tony Bailey (per Mike Carter)

Tue 16 Aug Painted Honeyeater Gluepot/Taylorville, South Australia
One Painted Honeyeater found about 500metres from where we saw it 10 days ago. Found it this time while following a pair of Restless Flycatchers! Not sure if its the same bird as last time or maybe there's a few around? hard to say!
Chris Steeles & Michael Warnes

Mon 15 Aug Grey Honeyeater Between Ochre Pits & Serpentine Gorge, Namatjira Dr, West McDonnell Ranges, Northern Territory
I have just returned from a multi-day trip to the West McDonnell Ranges which was absolutely bird-packed. The various mallee species are currently in flower and have attracted a huge influx of honeyeaters, including Grey Honeyeaters. In three consecutive days I encountered noisy Greys each dawn and dusk, at one point seeing 5 individuals at one site- a record for me as I personally have ever seen more than two of these birds together at any one site. They were frantically feeding on flowers but suffering very aggressive mobbing by Brown Honeyeaters. Also present in good numbers are White-fronted Honeyeaters and Golden-backed Honeyeaters as well as a few Pied Honeyeaters. Any birders in the region would do well to head out there soon as the flowering event won't last. I found the best sites for Greys to be in the mosaic areas of mulga, riverine and mallee woodland to be found between Ochre Pits and Serpentine Gorge along Namatjira Drive, although similar habitat stretches from Glen Helen to Ellery Creek so these areas are probably worth a look too. The action is all quite fast, furious and noisy so follow your ears to find these birds!
Per Mark Carter

Sun 14 Aug Hutton's Shearwater (10,500) Bunker Bay, Busselton, Western Australia
3 hour seawatch from Bunker Bay in Busselton: Hutton's Shearwater (10,500+), Fluttering Shearwater (2+), Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross (10+), Northern Giant Petrel (2), Soft-plumaged Petrel (2), Great-winged Petrel (10+), Pacific Gull (2) and Eastern Reef Egret (1)
Per Mark Newman, John Graff & Alan Collins

Fri 15 Jul Dusky Honeyeater Ngunda Creek at 15 5 50S 127 36 23E, Western Australia
Even if the recent records around Kununurra are accepted this would represent another significant range extension. The Dusky Honeyeater was flitting about the grevillea and eucalypt competing with the other honeyeaters, so Brown and White-gaped were close by for comparison. These sightings need to be considered in the light of around 1000 hrs bushwalking and birding in the East Kimberley over 13 years. After my 1st sighting in about 2006 in the Carr Boyd Range, I have been fully aware of the controversial nature of the record/s. Sadly I was walking on my own and got no picture of the bird.
Clive Curson

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.