birding-aus

Little Egret dark morph on Gold Coast, Qld

To: Nikolas Haass <>, Mike Carter <>, BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Little Egret dark morph on Gold Coast, Qld
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
One more thing: I am well aware that pigmentation in birds is way more
complicated than in mammals (e.g. humans have only two pigments eumelanin and
pheomelanin). However, even in birds the black pigment is melanin (eumelanin).
Therefore - if the dark morph theory was right - this bird must have undergone
two independent mutations localized to different body regions: melanism of a
part of its trunk and wings and leukism of its legs - very unlikely.
Moreover, since the bird also morphologically doesn't look like a Little Egret
at all (morphologically it resembles more a schistacea or even remotely an
Eastern Reef Heron - see my e-mail below) this bird is not a Little Egret. My
guess is still: most likely a hybrid (possibly Little x Eastern Reef?).

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW