birding-aus

Little Egret dark morph on Gold Coast, Qld

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Little Egret dark morph on Gold Coast, Qld
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:23:26 +1000
I know this is a little ‘old’ now but I was wondering if the unusual egret
observed and photographed recently on the Gold Coast, SE Qld, has been seen
again in the past few days.

The reason I ask is that previously I had voiced my opinion that the bird was a
form of the Pied Heron, possibly a young juvenile.
Since then I have been privileged to see some more of the photos taken of this
bird and I now am happy to agree with Mike Carter’s thoughts on it being a
Little Egret.
I am now happy to accept it is probably from the Little Egret Egretta garzetta
complex but I am not convinced it is a form of the subspecies nigripes, the
subspecies we ‘normally’ see here in Australia.

Also, a request for more information about the actual location in the
“Coombabah swamp” the bird was seen was made on BirdingAus a few days ago.
Has that request been met? If so, is it possible for that information to be
made public?
I have been considering travelling down from near the Sunshine Coast to try for
some photos but other commitments and the weather have been holding me back.
It would make the idea of such a trip more appealing if there was positive
evidence of the bird being still there. The Coombabah Swamp (I presume that is
in the vicinity of Coombabah Lake) appears to be quite large and without many
obvious tracks. So, a few guide lines to the most likely spot where the bird
might be would be a great help. Please.

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld