birding-aus

Noisy Miners as a threatening process

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Noisy Miners as a threatening process
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:35:29 +1000
Interesting to see that Noisy Miners are proposed as a threatening process in Victoria under the Flora and Fauna Guarantee Act.

See the 'preliminary recommendation' for a listing by the Scientific Advisory Committee (Google for noisy miner and 'Flora and Fauna Guarantee').

I am open to changing my mind but this, to me, seems like fiddling while Rome burns. The underlying reason why Noisy Miners affect threatened and endangered species is habitat simplification by humans - and the habitat simplification and, even more, the failure to respond to what is clear from numerous studies and, further back still, the increasing disconnection between people and nature are the really threatening processes.

That is evidenced by an item in The Age saying the Victorian State Government is looking at diluting the F&FG Act because the location of threatened species is getting in the way of logging!

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/editorial/baillieu-must-stay-true-to-the-environment-20110817-1iy5d.html?skin=text-only

Michael Norris
Melbourne