birding-aus

Overwintering birds..

To: <>
Subject: Overwintering birds..
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:11:54 +1000
Michael,

Since June 2010, I have visited two local wetlands north of Griffith
twice monthly keeping an eye on birds utilising the results of good
rainfall runoff and environmental water since June 2010. Reed Warblers
have been present at one of these wetlands during every count, and
almost as regular at the other. Numbers built up during the
spring/summer, but otherwise have typically been more than half a dozen
each visit. Also of interest was an adult male Scarlet Robin and a
juvenile observed at one of these swamps in February.

There are also a number of sites where Spotted Harriers are being seen
with regularity, and I observed six during a drive south to Moama a few
weeks back - a pair south of Coleambally, another pair on Wilson's Road
north of Jerilderie and an individual north of Deniliquin and one 10kms
to the south.

On the plains, I have seen Brown Songlarks display flying and calling
late into the night, but a few always over winter at certain spots.

Otherwise, I have also seen Rufous Songlark (Leeton), Sacred Kingfishers
(Rocky Waterholes at Narrandera), and White-winged Trillers (north of
Leeton). Flame Robins also seem to be in higher numbers than typical in
the Red Gum forests of the Murrumbidgee so far this season

Cheers
David Parker