birding-aus

Swift Parrots

To: David Richardson <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Swift Parrots
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 02:03:02 +0000
Not sure why David. I've just checked the record, and it's been changed back to
09:56 hrs. Nice record for Altona.

Interestingly the occurrence of Swifties around greater Melbourne reminds me of
the continual sighting of Rufous Songlark in Victoria. In Melbourne it seems
the habitat rules for Swift Parrot seems to have changed. Once this species
would travel through Melbourne and southern Victoria heading north to the
Box-Ironbark forests and woodlands in northern Victoria and NSW, and the east
coast of NSW. Now, perhaps due to the maturing and current good flowering of
street trees such as Spotted Gum (Eucalyptus maculata) and Mugga Ironbark
(Eucalyptus sideroxylon), they seem to be able to stop and then hang around
Melbourne for long periods of time. I also wonder if they will move on once all
the trees have stopped flowering, and whether this means they have left their
run too late to head north and link in to flowering gums further north?

Cheers,

Tim Dolby