birding-aus

First Photo - Southport Pelagic Today (18th June 2011) - Possibly/Probab

To: martin cachard <>
Subject: First Photo - Southport Pelagic Today (18th June 2011) - Possibly/Probable New Zealand Storm Petrel!
From: Allan Richardson <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 00:12:25 +1000
Hi Guys

Just had a look at the pics and I agree with Martin - it really doesn't appear
to be anything else on the strength of that pic. It seems to strongly rule out
the Fregettas - nothing I've seen amongst the Fregetta variations yet,
approaches belly markings like that - Black-bellied spreads from the belly
mid-line out and White-bellied starts out dark on the flanks and heads toward
the mid-line. Just on the pic you've given, the bird appears to approach the
proportions of a Wilson's (other wing images will perhaps make that clearer),
which you would have noticed on the day, including its size in comparison. We
had difficulty on the day picking our bird from the Wilson's around the boat
(it kept a good 50 m from the boat), which fits the jizz profile of NZSP.

In reference to your comment Nik regarding white underwing patch, I agree, I
think we'll need to look at more photos. I reckon the angle of the foreground
wing in Bob's pic gives the impression that the white patch is short like the
Ulladulla bird, however if you look at the other wing it appears the white is
just still fading just beyond the carpal joint - while the Ulladulla bird's
white patches in Raja's excellent pics looks to fade well before the carpal
joint. It's possible therefore that the bird's white wing patch may be
intermediate between the two extremities we've seen previously. Look forward to
seeing more pics.

All the same - that's great news - hopefully we can all look forward to seeing
this bird again in Australian waters - congratulations.

Regards

Allan Richardson
Morisset