birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 13 Jun 2011 01:30:21 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 12 Jun 2011.

Sun 12 Jun Speckled Warbler Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
A group of approximately three were feeding on the ground in a dry creek bed about 150 metres south of the big childrens' playground. It was not possible to get closer than 25 metres, but a couple of adequate photographs were obtained.
Margaret Leggoe

Australian Owlet-nightjar Kambah
I saw an Australian Owlet-nightjar sitting in the entrance to a hollow in a Red Box growing in the Tuggeranong suburb of Kambah at 11.15am this morning. The hollow is about 10 metres above the ground and east-facing. The tree is about as tall as I've ever seen for this species of eucalypt - I reckon it would probably be about 200 years old and it has many hollows in it. In a straight line, it is about 150 metres, and one main road, from the Mt Taylor Nature Reserve, and 1 km from the roosting bird that I reported on 12 March 2010 (see: http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds/2010-03/msg00069.html). I spoke briefly with one of the residents of the property on which the tree grows, who believes the Southern Boobook has bred in the tree before and showed me a photograph of a fledgling that came down their chimney some years ago. I have attached a photo that I took of the bird seen in the hollow this morning.
Matthew Frawley

Crescent Honeyeater Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
Seen about 150 metres south of the big children's playground in a eucalypt beside a dry creek bed. I had heard a strident whistle for some time that may have been from this bird.
Margaret Leggoe

Sat 11 Jun Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos South side of Narrabundah Hill, Duffy
3 in pine trees, possibly one juvenile
Tina Bromhead

Fri 10 Jun Yellow-tufted Honeyeater and Rose Robin Mount Ainslie
Last Sunday, I walked the Mt Ainslie/Mt Majura saddle in search of gang-gangs (without luck). I did encounter some great mixed feeding flocks, which included speckled warblers and varied sittellas. I also briefly saw two quail and thought they looked like brown. My brother's suggestion that the Allocasuarina habitat suited painted button-quail, not brown, is what led me back to the same area today. Despite the windier weather, the walk today was well worth it. Of 23 species seen, the first bird I saw was a male rose robin, the third a yellow-tufted honeyeater. There were also immature golden whistlers and a male rufous whistler, many silvereyes (lateralis), white-eared (and a possible white-naped) honeyeaters, spotted pardalotes, double-barred and red-browed finches, scarlet robins, varied sittellas and more. But no quail. As I got in my car to leave, the yellow-tufted honeyeater flew up into a dead tree nearby, allowing me a good last (and warmer) view. Location: Park on slope alongside Mt Ainslie Road where saddle track begins. The rose robin and yellow-tufted honeyeater were both to the left of the path about 20 metres below the access gate.
Maurits Zwankhuizen

Thu 9 Jun Gang Gang Phillip
A flock of 10 Gang Gangs flying over Canberra College at Woden this afternoon. Interesting in light of only 12 in total being recorded during John Leonard's Gang Gang survey last weekend.
Alastair Smith

Sun 5 Jun Cattle Egret Jerrabomberra Wetlands
Cattle Egret was picking around in the mown grassy area beside the parking area at Jerrabomberra Wetlands this morning. It was about the size of a purple swamphen, and would be the smallest egret I have seen at close quarters.
Margaret Leggoe

Western Gerygone, Rose Robin Mt Ainslie NR, Canberra
A Western Gerygone and a female Rose Robin were the slightly unseasonal highlights on a cold and foggy day on the western side of Mt Ainslie.
Tobias Hayashi

Rainbow Lorikeet Scullin ACT
Rainbow Lorikeets have been in neighbours backyard feeding on flowering spotted gum for the last few days. Only noticed a pair at a time but could be more.
Alex McLachlan

Tue 31 May Southern Boobook Stirling Avenue Reserve, Watson
We had good views of a Boobook calling vigorously outside our back fence on the Stirling Av Reserve. We have heard it a few times over the past month.
Kathy Walter and John Goldie

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.