birding-aus

ID Confirmation required

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: ID Confirmation required
From: "Steve McBride" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 23:49:42 +1000
Hi Steve,
Bird 2 - I believe is a 1st year White-fronted Tern.

I took photos of very similar looking Terns in Jul 09, which Chris Corben
identified for me, as 1st year White-fronted Terns.
A couple of Chris's comments about my photos, which I think can also relate
to your photo are:
"The dark centred tertials - these are juvenal feathers and it's far too
early to be seeing juvenal Common Tern in Australia "
"The white upper edge to the primaries, seen beautifully in Tern2 at rest.
This is caused by the way the white on the inner webs of the primaries
extends out towards the tip around the dark marks. It is never seen like
this in Common Tern."

You can see the full response from Chris here:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2009-07/msg001
84.html

Cheers,
Steve McBride.