birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 9 May 2011 01:30:12 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 8 May 2011.

Sat 7 May Osprey Giralang Pond (-35.214554° 149.088277°)
Flying around the pond for about 20 minutes, then flew south. [Moderator's comment: If accepted by the COG rarities panel this will be the first record for the ACT. It was later seen by two other independent observers over Lake Ginnindera at 1600]
Duncan McCaskill

Fri 6 May Buff-banded rail Callum Brae nature reserve
A Buff-banded rail seen flying across dam, then landing on muddy edge, of the large farm dam on Callum Brae farm next to the nature reserve fence. It looked around for less than half a minute before disappearing into the vegetation and didn't reappear over the next few minutes while I was watching. First time I've seen crake/rail at CB after some years of birding there regularly.
Sandra Henderson

Wed 4 May Satin Bowerbird Garden, 7 Toms Crescent, Ainslie, Canberra ACT 2602
I was working in my garden at c 1.00pm when a green Satin Bower flew in from the direction of a neighbour's shrubby backyard. It perched in a cherry tree in full view 10 m from me but immediately caught the attention of currawongs who hassled it away in a northeasterly direction towards Mt Ainslie. This is the first SBB I've seen in 20 years at this site. Early in 2010 there were sightings in Lyneham and the edge of Mt Ainslie on the COG chatline.
Robin Hide

Sun 1 May Swift Parrot Belconnen Bowling Club, Beetaloo St., Hawker
Whilst watching lawn bowls mens Pennant finals on Sunday afternoon I clearly observed three groups of swift parrots flying overhead, about 100 metres,in typical tight, fast formations. Two groups of 4 seemed to be travelling south towards Aranda/Cook areas with a flock of 10 flying south/west in the general direction of the Pinnacle Reserve and the Molonglo Valley. I do know these birds and even without binoculars would not confuse them with rainbow lorikeets , superb parrots, or rosellas.
Terry Bell

Dusky Woodswallow and Olive Backed Oriole Watson
Two Dusky Woodswallows seen overhead and one Oriole calling in Watson.
Kathy Walter and John Goldie

Sat 30 Apr Rose Robin; Fan-tailed Cuckoo Australian National Botanic Gardens
Rose Robin male- Between Section 98 (Myrtaceae) and 150 (R). Fan-tailed cuckoo in Banksias calling- near Tom's chair.
Benj Whitworth

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.