birding-aus

Bowerbird at Quirindi, south of Tamworth

Subject: Bowerbird at Quirindi, south of Tamworth
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 23:01:55 +1000
This discussion reminds me that about a decade ago I was driving from Brisbane
to Sydney and as I was passing through Scone, not far south of Quirindi, I was
99 percent certain I saw a Spotted Bowerbird fly across the New England
Highway, through a local park. Unfortunately I couldn't stop, and because of my
lack of certainty I unfortunately never reported or recorded it. Maybe I was
right all along, and I should have chased it harder. Make of this belated claim
what you will, but I doubt I'd mistake a Spotted Bowerbird for a female Satin -
they are uber familiar in SE Qld.

Anyway, I've always remembered that sighting every time I've driven through
that part of the world since, and looked out for them. Maybe this anecdote
might give this thread some extra credence...

Andrew