birding-aus

Bowerbird at Quirindi, south of Tamworth

To: Tim Dolby <>, Mark Stanley <>, "" <>
Subject: Bowerbird at Quirindi, south of Tamworth
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 20:24:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Mark and Tim et al,

Great timing, as I've just returned from seeing a Spotted Bowerbird at North
Rothbury, which is roughly 170km further along the New England Highway towards
the coast (as Tim has just pointed out). To give something of a background,
a local observer (Andrew Zoneff) made a small number of observations of Spotted
Bowerbirds in the vicinity of North Rothbury / Pokolbin last year, including
one
observation of 3 birds together, associating with Satins. They weren't reported
at the time but after he photographed one in his backyard (North Rothbury) a
few
weeks ago and sent me the image, a few keen Hunter birders have been out and
have found the bird(s), Allan Richardson being the first (and it's a great
photo
on Birdline that he took too).

I was looking at one about 2 hours ago!

I have also seen one at Munghorn Gap and Dave Geering saw one at Merriwa in
2003, both which are east of the GDR.

I have never seen any species of Bowerbird at Quirindi but I wouldn't write
Spotted Bowerbird off just yet, especially given that there seems to be a small
population around North Rothbury (and perhaps elsewhere in the Hunter?). There
are some nice 'western' birds not far from Quirindi, like Inland Thornbill,
White-winged Fairy-wren, Blue Bonnet, Ringnecks, Cockatiel etc. I have seen
Apostlebirds on the road between Quirindi and Willow Tree.

Could be worthy of further investigation.

Mick

p.s. - I will forward this to Alan Morris for his comment.