birding-aus

birding-aus Digest, Vol 61, Issue 34

Subject: birding-aus Digest, Vol 61, Issue 34
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 09:55:46 +1000
On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 06:24:23PM +1000, Andrew Thelander wrote:
> I agree - it does point to that and I am sure there are studies showing that
> topknots do eat camphor laurel and disperse the seed (one such study was at
> the Big Scrub in northern NSW). My books are all packed away at the moment
> but I googled "topknot pigeon camphor laurel" and found this posted on
> www.camphorlaurel.com <http://www.camphorlaurel.com/> ....

There is remarkable dissonance between the view put forward on the above
web site that Camphor Laurel is a severe threat to birds and suggestions
that availability of Camphor Laurel as a food source may explain recent
increases in range & abundance of a number of frugivorous birds.

There were unsuccessful state&federal nominations of Camphor Laurel as
a threatening process (presumably by the author of the above web site)
and the reasons for rejecting the nomination give a rather different
assessment of the evidence to camphorlaurel.com:
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/ktp/pubs/cinnamomum-camphora-listing.pdf
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/determinations/CamphorLaurelKtp.htm

The archive contains various reports of birds feeding in Camphor
Laurels e.g.:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/1999-07/msg00234.html

Andrew