birding-aus

Is Amytornis an online journal or not?

To: James <>
Subject: Is Amytornis an online journal or not?
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:57:06 +0800

David

As others have pointed out, Amytornis is online as part of the Birds Australia web site.  All volumes will continue to be made available online.  This is one of the main reasons that we incorporated the BAWA web site into the national BA web site.

To find it, go to the Birds Australia web site (birdsaustralia.com.au), then follow down through About BA, The Organisation, Regional Groups, Western Australia.  Or go direct to Western Australia as birdsaustralia.com.au/wa  (I think that the domain birdswa.com.au redirects to here)  Amytornis is then at the top of the WA menu on the right.

The journal is a fully refereed journal published by Birds Australia Western Australia.  The frequency of publication depends on the rate of submission of articles.  The  purpose of the journal is described below as copied from the web site.

I would encourage many of the papers on the recent spate of rarities from Cocos / Christmas and Ashmore to be submitted.  Size is not a problem.  Numbers of photos is not a problem.  I am sure that some of the BARC submissions could be reformatted as a journal article.  I know that this will be done, and that some will be submitted to Australian Field Ornithology (AFO), but please also consider Amytornis.  I doubt that AFO would publish 10 articles on the rarities seen?  But this would never be a problem for Amytornis, as the birds of Christmas and Cocos are a central part of its purpose.  The journal is in its fledgling stage, but it has an important place, and it will only survive if people support it.

The last time I knew, articles are submitted by emailing them to but I have not been responsible for the WA web site and email addresses for a couple of years so it may have changed (e.g. there was discussion of

WESTERN AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF ORNITHOLOGY

Amytornis is a forum for publication of peer-reviewed, scientific articles, notes and annotated lists and opinions and letters to the editor, which will appear in the Discussion section. It is hoped that through Amytornis, more and more of the considerable amount of grey literature and data hidden within the notebooks of naturalists will reach publication and thus become accessible to the wider scientific community. Articles published in Amytornis have focus on Western Australian ornithology, included in this are the Australian Territories of Christmas and Cocos Islands. Amytornis is envisaged as a complementary publication to Western Australian Bird Notes, the existing well known publication of Birds Australia Western Australia, and not as a competitor.

Although Amytornis has reached the stage of publication, the outlook is still and forever changing. As this is the case, we welcome comment from our peers as to ways we may improve what we hope will be an informative and widely-read publication.

Managing Editor
Myles H. M. Menz

Editors
Dr Robert A. Davis, Dr Jarrad A. Cousin, Marion Massam, Dr Ryan D. Phillips