birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 28 Feb 2011 01:31:08 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 27 Feb 2011.

Sun 27 Feb Little Corella. Diggers Rest Recreation Reserve
At 1340hrs, at least 550+ Little Corella observed at the Recreation Reserve, on the ground, in trees, on buildings and sporting equipment and fixtures. I could not spot any Long-billed Corella amongst them. Fascinating to observe their playful and comical behaviour.
Peter Gibbons.

Sat 26 Feb Plumed Whistling-Duck, Chestnut-rumped Thornbill, Grey-crowned Babbler, Apostlebird Boorhaman North
Plumed Whistling-Ducks still around, a pair seen on Brimin Rd with a Chestnut-rumped Thornbill in Cypress-Pine woodlands nearby. Five Grey-crowned Babblers and 4 Apostlebirds also together in a small Box/Cypress-Pine woodland.
Michael Ramsey

Diamond Dove, Buff-banded Rail Black Swamp, Boorhaman East
A single Diamond Dove seen feeding by Keoghs Rd on the west side of the swamp. It was observed for a few minutes before flying up into a Red Gum. Also seen again, leaving the swamp an hour later. Buff-banded Rail was also along Keoghs Rd by some long paspalum grass.
Michael Ramsey

Gang Gang Cockatoo Condah, Sou' Western Vic
flying between road side stringybark trees, just outside town
Samantha Greiner

White-throated Needletail Bridgewater Lakes, Cape Bridgewater
a flock of about 10-20 birds low of the car park as the late arrivals parked for Hamilton BOCA morning tea (10.15am) before outing around lakes, birds only there for about 30-40min
Samantha Greiner & Hamilton BOCA group

Fri 25 Feb Brown Goshawk, White-winged Chough Black Hill Nature Reserve near Kyneton
A small flock of 5 to 7 White-winged Choughs were first seen just inside the reserve as we headed down the path to the right and then again further into the reserve. The Brown Goshawk was seen over the fields where the unpaved road to the reserve meets the main road.
Robert Jones and R. Bruce Richardson

Magpie Goose Edithvale Wetlands
A single magpie goose in long grass in the still flooded western unfenced section of the northern Edithvale wetlands area.
Glenn Boyd

Double-banded Plover Pt Impossible, Breamlea
Single bird in basic plumage, Pt Impossible. First for season here. Hooded Plover pair with chick seen on 28th Jan not present on beach or around rocks at point.
Steve Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Peregrine Falcon Gembrook
Peregrine Falcon sitting on farm gate 5m from house. Chooks squarking madly made me come out of shed. Bird paused, saw me and flew off, under verandah and off to the south. We see regular Wedgetailed Eagle pair (weekly or so) but first time ever to see this bird. Loads of rabbits at the moment for food.
Fiona Gross

Willie Wagtail Bentleigh East
Not a very rare bird, but the first I've seen in Bentleigh.
James Bailey

Thu 24 Feb Little Eagle Longford-Loch Sport Road, Sale
Little Eagle seen flying lazily over the road a few km out of sale near Dowd Morass. I've been on this road several times and spotted one there at other times. Must be a nest nearby
Andrew Martin

White-throated Needletail Toolangi State Forest
200+ over Quarry Tk, Toolangi SF from dawn onwards. Great sight as the first shafts of sunlight bejewelled their glistening white throats... Also there a Pink Robin who sang but thrice and upon whom our eyes did not fall, and 2 cheeky Pilotbirds.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Little Lorikeet, Musk Lorikeet, Rainbow Lorikeet Warranwood and Heatherdale Station
6 Musk Lorikeet arrived in the front yard with the usual 10-12 Rainbows still working over our large apple tree. First time they've stopped for a visit. Also approx. 30 of mostly Rainbows over in about 15 minutes while watching the Muskies. Keeping an eye out for any PCLs! Little Lorikeets still very noisy at Heatherdale Station on a morning.
Jackson Airey

Peregrine Falcon Newtown, Geelong
Two birds first seen circling to NE @18:05h. One bird drifted away and was quickly lost from sight. Second bird circled for several minutes and then flew directly and purposefully to SW. Single birds then seen over period of twenty minutes generally circling upwind (to N) and gliding slowly downwind. At 18:35h two birds once more seen when size difference was clear, larger more bulky female gliding to S with smaller less bulky male above and behind her. Wonderful sight! Rarely seen over this urban environment! Over this period of time birds were generally quite high. Female in moult with two outer primaries and one or two mid secondaries re-growing. Attention of observer first taken by alarm calls of resident New Holland Honeyeaters, which were generally silent while falcons were overhead ... perhaps too high to produce a response. During this time 10+ Welcome Swallows were seen overhead and at least 6 Homing/Domestic Pigeons were seen flying to SW. Not observed being chased by Peregrine(s) nor changing course whilst in sight of observer.
Craig Morley

Purple-crowned Lorikeet Quambee Reserve, Ringwood North
At least 4 Purple-crowned Lorikeets in a flowering eucalypt in this reserve today amongst the much more numerous (and usual) Musk and Rainbow. Not a common species in the eastern suburbs in my experience.
Steven Creber

Powerful Owl Williamstown Victoria
Powerful Owl sighted and heard around 1.00am high in very tall gum tree. I believe this same bird has been in the area since 31st of January - have seen and heard on a number of nights in February. Lovely, clear loud hooting. Loud enough to wake us!
Loraine Callow

Wed 23 Feb Bush Stone-curlew, Western Gerygone Dowdle Swamp
Bush Stone-curlew seen again after an absence for a few months, by Red Gum woodland on the north west side. Western Gerygone, first record for the swamp.
Michael Ramsey

Tue 22 Feb Beautiful Firetail, Rufous Fantail, Rufous Bristlebird Wensleydale. Breakfast Creek.
Finches (two) active along the creek. Juvenile birds with dark beaks and sibilant quality to calls. Also an immature Rufous Fantail with less distinct facial markings. Bristlebirds heard several times further along the creek.
Craig Morley

Southern Emu-wren Anglesea Heath. Bald Hills Rd.
A pair of Emu-wrens seen and heard in mixed species feeding flock with Superb Fairy-wrens(2-3), Brown Thornbills(2-3) and at least one White-browed Scrubwren. Moving together in low heath and Leptospermum over distance of at least 30m. Also two Blue-winged Parrots overhead flying south. Forest Ravens heard. Also Pied and Grey Currawongs
Craig Morley

Diamond Firetail Mitchell Rd, Woolshed Ck near Den of Nargan, Glenaladale.
2 birds confirmed (possibly more) flushed from side of track, 100 metres south of Woolshed Creek crossing.
Roger Bilney

Dollarbird Loddon River at Newstead
Single bird perched near the highway bridge on the Loddon River at Newstead. My first record of this species here ... but not altogether unexpected!
Geoff Park

Baillon's Crake Mill Park Lakes
Have seen in this area of the lakes in 2009. Got good views of bird before it disappeared in to Reeds . (1).
Colin Mulvogue

Willie Wagtail, Muscovy Duck Cherry Lake (Altona)
am. overcast. Willie Wagtail: successfully defending boundary fence of sports oval and their patch of turf against a flock of starlings (20). Muscovy Duck: on bank with 3 mallards (1).
Peter Booth

Mon 21 Feb Red-browed Treecreeper, Olive Whistler Bright-Mt Buffalo area
Red-browed Treecreeper: group of 4 near Rollasons Falls Mt Buffalo, also heard near Bright. Olive Whistler: great sighting, in a hawthorn bush by a small gully behind Bright (1).
Michael Ramsey - Bronzewing Birding Services

Sun 20 Feb White-throated Needletail Point Lonsdale. Cnr Grimes Rd and Pt.Lonsdale Rd
At least 10 birds flying about. Not very high, ahead of cold front @10:30h.
Lib Macpherson and Craig Morley

Black Falcon You Yangs
Branch Road by the You Yangs Regional Park around noon on Sunday, observed perched then flying fairly leisurely over the field by the road before heading off to the south.
Robert Jones and R. Bruce Richardson

Wedge-tailed Eagle Princes Fwy at Newland St, Altona Meadows/Laverton
time: 10.10 Flying over - closest to the city that I've seen a Wedgie!
Janine Duffy

New Holland Honeyeater Pascoe Vale South
Observed while rummaging around Mum's Chinese lantern tree, it let me get close but not close enough for a photo, I heard the distinctive call first then spotted the yellow on its wings. Must be a resident bird as I see it regularly when visiting.
Fabian (full name supplied)

Thu 17 Feb Blue-winged Parrot Durdidwarrah Rd at Koala Tk, Brisbane Ranges NP
including at least one juvenile. All flew up from roadside as I drove past, alighted in dead tree, stayed for some minutes before flying off together (3). Also Dusky Woodswallows and Varied Sitellas seen in same location.
Janine Duffy

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.