birding-aus

The return of the Eyebrowed Thrush; Seen this morning

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: The return of the Eyebrowed Thrush; Seen this morning
From: Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge <>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:09:20 +1000
Hi Folks,
We saw the Eye-browed Thrush this morning and just missed Barbara. We arrived about 0810 and were lucky to see it within 2 minutes of arriving as it was on the ground in the open. It flew back into one of several orchard trees in the grassed area and spent about 10 minutes resting before pouncing back onto the ground for periods of 5-10 minutes, foraging for worms for which it was very successful. This was the pattern it followed for the next 1½hrs we were there. It is very wary of movement and best watched from beneath the Lychee tree (mentioned by Alan and Mike), located a bit before and to the left of the house, there are some bricks and a canoe under the tree. Due to it being very shy of movement we stayed put and waited for the bird to approach us. It did not come too close (8-10m) and was chased off by Buff-banded Rails on several occasions. A large Carpet Python was nearby climbing up a Banana Tree, lets hope it does not find the thrush!

Thanks to Alan and Mike for keeping us updated and to Terry and Michelle for allowing us onto their property, extra thanks to Terry for mowing the lawn in the orchard area and making the habitat suitable for the thrush again..

Also of interest was 3 Cotton Pygmy-goose (2 Adults and a juvenile) on the nearby Hasties Swamp (downloadable brochure http://www.birdsaustralianq.org/pdfs/Hasties-Swamp-No-10.pdf ). There was also one juvenile Green Pygmy-goose at the other end of the swamp, apart from that not much else to be seen.

Cheers,
Keith & Lindsay.

    Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge
    RN 6 Mt. Kooyong Road
    Julatten QLD 4871
    Ph : (07) 4094 1263
    Web Site: www.birdwatchers.com.au
    Blog: http://kingfisherparkbirdwatchers.blogspot.com/

Winner: Wet Tropics 2010 Cassowary Award for Nature Based Tourism