birding-aus

The return of the Eyebrowed Thrush; the location.

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: The return of the Eyebrowed Thrush; the location.
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 23:25:42 +1100
Several people have asked me for directions to Terry & Michelle's property where this bird may be seen - see Alan's message below. As I recall, from the centre of Malanda it is about 5 km. Driving towards Atherton take the third turning to the left after leaving the outskirts of the town. The first turning is the Upper Barron Road and the second is Curson Road. The third, which you take, has a name beginning with A and is about 3 km out of Malanda. The sign post is/was barely visible and is mounted on the right side of the Atherton Road and was pointing the wrong way, that is out into the paddock opposite the turning. It is grey bitumen road. After about 2 km the name of the road changes to Stonehouse Road and this is well marked. The colour of the bitumen changes to 'orange'. The first house on the left has a number 380 marked on a star picket. 100 m beyond this there is a driveway with a similar star picket bearing the number 370, your destination. Turn into the drive and drive up the house and park on the grass to the left of the house. The bird tends to frequent the lawn near to the fence about 35 m perpendicular to that parking spot and can be viewed from there or from the west side of the lychee tree that Alan mentions. This is now a little to your left and slightly behind you. I recall it as a dome shaped tree 4-5 m tall with dense dark green foliage.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mount Eliza  VIC 3930
Tel  (03) 9787 7136