birding-aus

The return of the Eyebrowed Thrush

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: The return of the Eyebrowed Thrush
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:30:07 +1000
Greetings,
The Thrush is back, but don't worry, I'm on medications!

It has been seen in the usual place doing the usual things, if a week's
observations can make anything usual. Actually I got my most extending views of
the bird today as it ate worms and caterpillars. I took guests there to see the
Bushhens and mimicked how Mike Carter had met Terry and just walked down beside
the house and seen the bird. "Is that the bird you came to see?" I said to Nev.
He put up his glasses and said, "Wow yes!" I thought he was looking at a leaf
and playing the fool. That is what he intended but he was actually on the bird.
When he did not take down his glasses I looked at the 'leaf' he was looking at;
my old (new) friend the Eyebrowed Thrush.

Terry and Michelle will not be able to offer the same level of hospitality this
week, coffee etc. Please come self contained to 370 Stonehouse Road Malanda. As
you drive in facing the house park out of the way. There will be people around
the place busy working on the flower farm but they are happy for well behaved
birders to come to view the bird. Facing the house, there is a large lychee
tree on your left. Please stay south, the house side, of the tree of go under
it where the lychee meets a mulberry tree and remain under the tree. This will
give you a good view of the area where the bird has been seen and not put
pressure on the bird. Terry has mown the grass and this may explain its return.
There may be many other reasons also. The bird will sit for long periods hidden
in the trees, come to the ground to hunt, hop quickly across the grass and sat
still in the grass for long periods. Be prepared to wait.

I'll not be around to offer assistance until after the weekend either, sorry.

Regards,
Alan