birding-aus

re Yellow tail Black Cockatoo behaviour

To: "" <>
Subject: re Yellow tail Black Cockatoo behaviour
From: Lex Holcombe <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:15:10 +1100
It is interesting behaviour

While we were travelling in the Kimberley we disentangled a red tail black
cockatoo from a barbwire fence.  It was probably there quite a while because it
was fairly weak.  While we were working on the wire the flock (about 200 birds)
wheeled around us and perched in overhead trees calling loudly.

Once it was off the fence we patched it up, gave it a drink and let it go.  As
it flew slowly off, the whole flock followed it and when it landed they all
landed around it - it was extraordinary to witness.

Message: 8