birding-aus

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo - behaviour

To: "'Colin R'" <>, <>
Subject: Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo - behaviour
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:05:57 +1100
Perhaps and the reason may be as you suggested. Or maybe the group of 4
were unaware of the presence of the dead bird and it was coincidental
(not all that different from normal behaviour).

Philip

-----Original Message-----From:
 On Behalf Of Colin R
Sent: Monday, 14 February 2011 9:13 AM  To:

Hi

Stuart Warren and I witnessed interesting behaviour from a group of
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos at the weekend. We had stopped to check
out a dead YTBC beside the road - the first YTBC roadkill either of us
had seen - and while we examined it, 4 other birds circled back from a
distance of about 200 meters calling constantly to come to rest in the
tree above us. They spent several minutes calling and displaying -
raising their wings and crests and generally appearing quite distressed
(and I am trying not to place any human emotion on their behaviour)
before taking off and flying back the way they had come. The dead bird
was esentially undamaged, but stiff and slightly flat. At a guess I
would estimate it had been killed late the previous day - it was about
8.00am when we found it. We could only assume the other birds in its
party had come back to either find it or mourn it in some way - it was a
spectacular, but sad, experience.

Regards
--
  Colin Reid