birding-aus

RFI: Wader ID....

Subject: RFI: Wader ID....
From: Nathan <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 16:36:21 +1100
A few of us went to Long Reef on the Weekend, and posted images of the bird
to Birdline, where Josh got an email saying the birds in question is
different to Marks bird (and it very obviously is, there's no arguing that!
xD) which sparked us to start up a post on Feathers and Photos.com.au, which
got mixed results, most people agreeded that it was a Wandering Tattler, but
mark bought up Reasonable doubt of our ID, and thought that it was best to
leave it to the experts! We thought that it was very probably the same bird
to Marks First photo (which is the Second Picture here:
http://myoungbirding.blogspot.com/2011/02/wandering-tattler-part-1.html )
through photoshop we saw the grey and white line matches up perfectly, when
superimposed on one another. But the main aguements against the ID are *"The
supercilium by itself is not enough of a diagnostic feature to ID as a
Wandering. I can show you quite a few GTT images where the supercilium
doesn't extend past the eye." "**The base of the bill seems to be too yellow
for a Wandering, or so I'm told... (Email from Alan Richards)*
Quote:
G-tT generally have lighter bill bases than WT, particularly on the upper
mandible, but some G-tT have darker bill bases, making this a little
unreliable. However I am yet to see a WT with a very light base to the upper
mandible, so this character should rule out WT
"

And the main points for Wandering Tattler is that it looks very similar to
the other of Marks Birds (of which no-ones bought up isn't a WT), we flushed
it from a rockshelf that was in very heavy surf, and when if flushed we
heard it make a Trill Call, and followed it to this, the supercillium
doesn't extend past the eye, the is much more grey on this then you'd expect
with G-T T, and there is barely any white on the throat. And also in the
field it was just SO different to all the other Tattlers we saw on the day!

But I guess I should get to the pictures shouldn't I....

Without further ado:
http://j-twitcher.blogspot.com/2011/02/wandering-tattler.html