birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 20 Dec 2010 01:30:27 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 19 Dec 2010.

Thu 16 Dec Blue-faced Parrot-Finch Mt Lewis site
This morning I had the pleasure of having the whole mountain to myself with clear conditions. At the clearing at 8am I observed a large dispersed group of Blue-faced Parrot-Finch in the highest numbers I have seen in many years here, numbering 40+ birds including many juveniles. The grass is seeding in healthy amounts & it appears these birds have enjoyed a very good season. They allowed a very close approach & for a change, were less flighty than the numerous Red-browed Finches present.
Martin Cachard

Tue 14 Dec Chestnut-breasted Mannikin Mt. Lewis, 10km from Bushy Creek.
2 Chestnut-breasted Mannikin feeding with Blue-faced Parrot-Finch at 950m ASL. Whilst the parrot-finches are regularly at this site at this time of year the mannikins are not. I have only one record at this height in over 80 surveys for this site, this was on 24/1/1999 when 6 birds were present.
Keith Fisher

Sat 11 Dec White-throated Nightjar, Little Kingfisher Davies Creek Rd, Lamb Range
While driving along this road at 8pm, a White-throated Nightjar flew off the track just above the waterfalls. Another 3km further up the road into the Dinden National Park, a pair was also flushed from the road just ahead of me. It is unusual to see this species here at this time of year, suggesting that they may be breeding in the area. There was some burning-off beside the road taking place just before the rose gum/casuarina habitat, which may have attracted the nightjars. At the very end of this road at 850mtrs asl in the rainforest, the same pair of Little Kingfishers were present that I have observed here before. They are definitely currently breeding at this site, as both birds were carrying food to where the nest was located. This record could well be the highest altitude breeding record for this species. Excellent birding was enjoyed here with Lesser Sooty Owls calling through the night, Chowchillas in numbers, with White-eared Monarchs & Bower's Shrike-thrush among the many other highlights at this site.
Martin Cachard

Thu 9 Dec Blue-faced Parrot-Finch Mt Lewis
Up to three seen and photographed in the clearing throughout the morning.
Laurie Knight

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.