birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 6 Dec 2010 01:30:41 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 5 Dec 2010.

Thu 2 Dec Long-tailed Cuckoo Portland Roads Road 100m south of the Chili Creek crossing-Iron Range
Record via Keith Fisher (moderator . New Zealand species with scattered records on east coast of Australia - not sure if any have been accepted)
Ben Blewitt

Wed 1 Dec Fork-tailed Swift Aeroglen, Cairns suburb
At 12 noon today I observed a flock of 50+ Fork-tailed Swifts just above the Cook Hwy in Cairns' northern suburbs. This is my earliest record for this species on the Cairns floodplain by about 3 weeks - they normally arrive here just on Christmas, my earliest record being 20/12/2001. This is not all that surprising as some other monsoon season migrants have been early arrivals here this year, such as Buff-breasted Paradise-Kingfishers & Oriental Cuckoos.
Martin Cachard

Sun 28 Nov Varied Lorikeet Cumberland Dam, 20km west of Georgetown
5 Varied Lorikeets seen at this site on 28/11, as well as a single bird on 27/11. This is my first record of this species here in 14 years of regular visits. Some bloodwoods & box eucalypts were in flower as well as some good mistletoe, which were being utilised by the Varieds, along with myriad Rainbow Lorikeets. Also unusual here was a lone Brush Cuckoo, further west than normal. Very few finches were here on this trip - notably absent were the usual Masked, Black-throated, Plum-headed & Pictorella Mannikins. (Present were a pair of Chestnut-breasted Mannikin (not usual here), numbers of Double-bars & only 10 Zebra Finches).
Martin Cachard

Sat 27 Nov Common Tern Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
3 birds at viewpoint 2 (Appear to be Common Terns?) Photo attached.
Ed Pierce

Fri 26 Nov Common Tern Townsville Harbour
Small loose flock of four to six birds (max seen at one time three) working Ross Creek between the Museum of Tropical Queensland and the marina, approx 8:15 am.
Niel Bruce

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birds Australia North Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.