birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
Date: 22 Nov 2010 01:30:12 +1000

Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 21 Nov 2010.

Sun 21 Nov Semipalmated Plover Broome, Western Australia
The long staying Semipalmated Plover at Broome, WA (first discovered in October 2009) has recently been found on the beach adjacent to the sewage ponds (described as between Town Beach and Demco Walkway). It was found by local Broome birdwatcher Clare Morton. In the last week or two it has been seen there on at least four occasions. Despite being present in Broome for over 12 months this is the first time the bird has been seen away from the fenced ponds compound. There are now potentially much better opportunities for close views and photographs. The birds recent movement coincides with the drying out of two of the larger ponds at the sewage farm.
Clare Morton per Rohan Clarke

Sat 20 Nov Spangled Drongo Cheetham Wetlands, Altona , Victoria
Bird spotted at co-ordinates: -37.885617,144.793485 Was there for entire day. Pretty certain that this tropical species is unusual down here.
James Bailey

Fri 19 Nov Inland Dotterel, Long-toed Stint, Pectoral Sandpiper, Ruff Lake McLarty near Mandurah, Western Australia
Inland Dotterel on bare ground not far from the lake shore towards the southern end of the lake's eastern shore, primarily associating with Red-capped Plovers. Other waders of interest seen were; Banded Stilt (300+) Bar-tailed Godwit (3) Ruff (1) Red Knot (145+) Ruddy Turnstone (1) Pectoral Sandpiper (2+) Long-toed Stint (2) Pacific Golden Plover (4) Greater Sand Plover (1+) Also 1000s each of Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Curlew Sandpiper, and Red-necked Stint, and a decent number of Red-capped Plovers.
Wayne Merritt, Mark Newman, Robyn Pickering & John Graff

Wed 17 Nov Red-billed Tropicbird Kim's Lookout, Lord Howe Island, New South Wales
Bird seen yesterday late morning by The Intrepid Seven who chartered the flight form Port Macquarie for the day. Thanks to Simon Mustoe, Barbara Harvey (birthday girl), Tony Palliser, Frank O'Connor (who came from Perth), Dion Hobcroft, Dave Mitford and of course myself. Other birds: Red-tailed Tropicbird. Kermadec, Black-winged & Providence petrel, White-bellied Storm-Petrel, White Tern, Grey Ternlet and all the regular LHI birds including all endemic ssp. and that big endemic thing that walks around clucking.
Alan McBride

Tue 16 Nov Ruff Western Treatement Plant, Victoria
A single Ruff was seen at the WTP. Note: It was a distinctive spot, because there was a little track down to the edge of the pond, with trees behind and to the left of us, as I faced the pond. I knew we were in that general area, and once I took a look, it was clear to me. The coordinates are -37.997862,144.647037 . The pictures can be seen here: http://www.barry15.com/2010_Australia_Trip/Wader. (Moderator note: I've just had another report that a Ruff was also seen at the Conservation Ponds by Geoff Smith, 10/11/2010: TD)
Barry Brugman (USA) per Tim Dolby

Mon 15 Nov Pied Heron Alice Springs Sewage Ponds, Northern Territory
2 birds in full adult plumage at EP7b. Very approachable; does not appear to be any previous records for this species in Central Australia
Lisa Harris

Sun 14 Nov Long-tailed Jaeger Pelagic trip, 5-10 K north of shelf, Port MacDonnell, South Australia
One second year bird in non-breeding plumage seen just inside the edge of the continental shelf for a few minutes. Numerous photos taken, Jizz characters, including well proportioned body without the deep chest of an Arctic, long narrow wings, bouyant tern-like flight, small bill, all consistant with Long-tailed. Plumage characters points to a bird moulting into second basic (non-breeding) plumage. This explains the paler bases to the outer primaries, the short, un pin-like central tail feathers. The feathers aren't blunt, so this bird can't a juvenile, but this is consistant with a second year bird, which has pointed feathers, but not anywhere near as long as an adult. The barred underwing it consistant with this ID of age. The new feathers on the upperparts are quite grey, fitting a Long-tailed Jaeger.
Kevin Bartram

Southern Fulmar, White-headed Petrel Port MacDonnell shelf, South Australia
Good pelagic off Port MacDonnell, one Southern Fulmar, located on the water. Also one White-headed Petrel, 1 juvenile Northern Royal Albatross, 3 Wandering Albatrosses, heaps, perhaps 200 Great-winged Petrels of both ssp, 1 Cape Petrel, just a few Grey-backed, Wilson's, White-faced Storm-Petrels & one probable Salvin's Albatross juvenile. Also 1 jaeger, possibly Long-tailed, located just north of shelf. Still trying to confirm that species.
Kevin Bartram

Banded Whiteface Tankanu Homeland Loop Road, APY Lands, South Australia
Single bird seen in dead eremophila just above spinifex adjacent to track on Sat. afternoon. Sunday morning: 2 birds feeding in middle of track and adjacent area - 2 other BWF's calling (heard, not seen) in same spot. Little Woodswallow (2) atop dense mulga at base of hills in same area. My first sighting of this species on APY Lands in 5 years. Large flock of Varied Sitella (pileata) in Desert Oak Woodlands on same loop road. Good 2 days of birding following light rain and cool change.
David Hartland

Wed 10 Nov Ruff Western Treatment Plant, Victoria
Further to Barry Brugman's posting of 16 November re a possible sighting of a Ruff at WTP. I observed what I believe to be a Ruff in company with two Sharp-tailed Sandpipers on the Conservation Ponds near the Borrow Pit at WTP on 10 November. See attached photo.
Geoff Smith

Gouldian Finch Chardon St, Katherine, Northern Territory
Was watching brown quail when 4 juvenile finches landed near fence (3 on fence and 1 on ground, all but 3 metres from me). Two just had plumage (black headed morphs) and the other 2 still no coloured plumage. This is very strange just in Katherine? Is possible that they are escapees, or offspring of escapees (have contact who has had bred stock escape). No photo sorry, quickly went to get my camera and just got back to see them flying into distance (South)
Mick Jerram

Fri 7 Oct Little Kingfisher 14° 34.4' 40.07"S 132° 04.18'55"E, Northern Territory

Mick Jerram per Jenn Child

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.