birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 15 Nov 2010 01:30:51 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 14 Nov 2010.

Sun 14 Nov White-headed Pigeon Marlo
Upon arriving home from the BA biennial Hooded Plover count, we were greeted by an adult White-headed Pigeon sheltering from the persistent rain on our balcony. An infrequent but annual visitor to this coastal settlement.
Jacquie and Len Axen

Ground Parrot Pearl Point
On the access road to Pearl Point, an adult Ground Parrot was flushed from the slashed roadside verge near the turnoff to Binns campsite this afternoon.
Len and Jacquie Axen, David McKenzie

Spotted Quail-thrush, Painted Button-quail Brisbane Ranges National Park
Spotted Quail-thrush: Nelsons Track, 1 seen, several head. Painted Button-quail: 1 seen well at Anakie Gorge.
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Brush Bronzewing Cape Conran Coastal Park
Single sightings of a Brush Bronzewing in dense coastal scrub at three locations within this coastal park between the Yerrung River and Bemm River; namely Dock Inlet, Py Yoot Bay track ( Pearl Point ) and adjacent to the ocean access day visitor site.
Len and Jacquie Axen, David McKenzie

White-backed Swallow Boweya Forest
A pair were attending to two recently fledged juveniles on the western side of the forest.
Michael Ramsey

Little Button-quail Wilby
A single bird was flushed from the edge of a recently windrowed canola crop near the old cemetery.
Michael Ramsey

Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Broadway, Bonbeach
Spotted four Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoos feasting on seeds of banksia tree in front garden of residential house about noon.
Anita Joy

Mistletoebird Maryknoll

William Paul

Rufous Whistler, Satin Flycatcher Galada Tamboore, Merri Creek, Campbellfield
Highlights of this mornings Merri Creek, Galada Tamboore survey were female and juvenile Rufous Whistler and a male Satin Flycatcher in the Yellow Box Gully area of Galada Tamboore. Other interesting species were Golden-headed Cisticola and Brown Quail heard calling in the grassland.
Nicole Spillane & Paul Jacobson

Fri 12 Nov Great-crested Grebe Edgewater Lake, Maribyrnong River
swimming on surface - 1 sighted
Alison

Channel-billed Cuckoo Berwick
Now 2 seen and heard between 9.15 am &11.30 am.in the aproximate area bounded by Princes Highway , Peel St . Elgin St . & Manuka Rd. ( This includes Turner St. and Jack Kirkham Reserve.) There is A Moreton Bay Fig tree starting to bear fruit on the Princes Highway ,almost opposite Peel Street ,so I will check that regularly . Note: the Retirement Village is Private Property.
Graham Beal

Black Falcon Daws Bridge Rd, Wallaloo - 5km south-east of Marnoo
Single Black Falcon perched in roadside Grey Box
Geoff Park

Wed 10 Nov Intermediate Egret Little Lake Boort
4 around lake edge
Malcolm Cousland

Dusky Woodswallow Cranbourne Royal Botanic Gardens
2 young and adults seen in the carpark of the Australian Garden Visitor Centre.
Ben Sinclair

Budgerigar, Cockatiel, Grey-crowned Babbler. North-central Victoria
The highlights for the Victorian Twitchathon wwa: Budgerigar, Cockatiel and Little Button-quail at Goschen, Whiskered Tern and Blue-billed Duck at Round Lake, Grey-crowned Babbler, Gilbert's Whistler and Western Gerygone at Kerang Weir, White-bellied Sea-Eagle at Lake Tutchewop, and Hardhead in Bendigo. 136 species in 8 hours:
Tim Dolby, Greg Oakley, Fiona Parkin, Tim Bawden.

Great Cormorant Taylors Lakes
Spotted a single bird at 8 am this morning Loc: In the water area between Kings Rd and the Watergardens shopping centre (doing its weekly shop?)
Andre Rasquinha

Tue 9 Nov Channel-billed Cuckoo Berwick
Seen again today at 2.30 pm. Came swooping into the same Cypress tree, as seen in yesterday ,and inspected a recently successfully used Aus, Raven nest ( Female ? ) upsetting the Magpie Larks nesting in an adjacent tree.
Graham Beal

Mon 8 Nov Princess Parrot (Escapee) Frankston Cell
5.00pm heard a bird calling in backyard , on checking out , saw a Princess Parrot in Large Blue Gum. Bird flew down to garae roof then clothes line , before being chased away by resident Noisy Miners . Could be heard calling from close by park .
Colin Mulvogue

Channel-billed Cuckoo Edrington Park Retirement Village, Berwick (South-east Melbourne)
Heard on Friday and seen today at 11.45 am in a Cypress tree calling while being mobbed by the "locals ". Chased off in the direction of Manuka Road Akoonah Park and Cardinia Creek reserve. This is earlier than last year when one was seen on Nov 30th.
Graham Beal & Michael Collins

Little Corella - Cacatua sanguinea Albert Jones Reserve, Eaglemont (Ivanhoe area)
Pair seen feeding on the ground - never noticed this species here before in 13 years.
Therese Quinlan

Peregrine Falcon Tambo River, Swan Reach
Peregrines nesting on sandstone cliff face along the Tambo River near Swan Reach. Young (x2) are about ready to fly and are healthy and exercising their wings with gusto.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Sun 7 Nov Short-tailed Shearwater Along the beaches of the Great Ocean Rd ( from Anglesea to Lorne )
While on conference in Lorne over the weekend, my brother took this simple shot from his phone showing a number of beach washed sea birds, (most likely a species of Shearwater), with one in the foreground (for our editors to have a look at) with many more in the background. According to a local from Anglesea, he too saw many of these birds washed up on the beach near his home. My brother said he saw dozens upon dozens of these birds along the beach at Lorne. Your thoughts anybody?
Con Baltas reporting for his brother Paul Baltas

White-throated Nightjar, Painted Honeyeater, Speckled Warbler, Western Gerygone Chiltern National Park
WTN on rocky hill near White Box Trail, the others at Bartley's Block.
Chris and Rosemary Lester

Horsfield's Bushlark, Peregrine Falcon, Common Tern Werribee Sewage Farm
Large numbers of Bushlarks around. Several at grasslands south of T-Section Lagoons & also north of Ryan's Swamp. Seemed easy to photograph. Managed to get nice photos of Bushlark, Skylark, Pipit in this area. 1 adult Peregrine south of 85W ponds. 4 Common Terns at Kirks Point, including 1 in near breeding plumage with a nearly black cap, & mottled grey belly. Very few waders & ducks around.
Kevin Bartram

Red-rumped Parrot Alexandra Avenue, South Yarra
Two seen in Winifred Crescent Reserve opposite the Yarra.
Debbie Lustig

Whimbrel Corner Inlet
A single Whimbrel flew in with about 40 Eastern Curlew and 3 Bar-tailed Godwits. Surprisingly once on the ground, the Whimbrel associated with the Godwits, and not with the Curlews - the Curlews were feeding to the east of the hide and the Godwits and Whimbrel to the west..
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Australian King-Parrot Wonthaggi
In our backyard this evening (6.00pm) we discovered 4 king parrots sitting on top of my husband's parrot aviary. They appeared to be immature with an adult female. When we saw one arrive we thought perhaps it was an aviary escapee but when it was followed by 3 more. we had to conceed that they were wild birds. Never seen this species here before.
Nola Thorpe

Crested Bellbird St Arnaud Regional Park, Wax Garden
chased the call around a small area between Centre Rd and Bone Mill Rd after about 20min finial saw bird fly and perch where I could identify it
Samantha Greiner

Sat 6 Nov Square-tailed Kite Clifton Creek (12km north of Bairnsdale, off the Great Alpine Road)
One seen initially, heading north along treeline, being harrassed by Wattlebirds or Magpies (too hard to tell from distance). Then a few minutes later a pair was seen heading south along the same treeline. The pair then circled low over the trees and we were able to observe them in the scope for about 15 minutes..
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Fri 5 Nov Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo South Yarra
Sighted in a tree on the side of Alexandra Avenue.
Timana Hattam

Common Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Seen well on road at 115 East lagoon/borrow pit (1).
Chris Lunardi

Red-capped Robin, Grey Currawong, Shining Bronze-cuckoo Woodlands Historic Park
Red-capped Robin feeding dependant young (see photo of juvenile). Also juvenile Shining Bronze Cuckoo & at least 3 adult Shining Bronze Cuckoos, displaying and calling. Grey Currawong-adult seen (3 time I've had this species here). Also Pallid Cuckoo still calling, Sacred Kingfisher calling, Varied Sittellas, Little Eagle dark morph, heaps of Tree Martins nesting at northern entrance of park.
Kevin Bartram

Wed 3 Nov Collared Sparrowhawk Donvale 3111, Melbourne
This bird was spotted out the backyard in the morning.
Jason

Mon 1 Nov Crimson Rosella Gunbower Cell
One seen near the town oval
Malcolm Cousland

Tue 26 Oct Black-shouldered Kite Royal Park
Single individual flying just north of the Royal Children's Hospital.
Inka Veltheim

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.