birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 1 Nov 2010 01:30:47 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 31 Oct 2010.

Sun 31 Oct Square-tailed Kite Torrumbarry Weir, Murray River near Gunbower
Lazily flying over weir with Whistling Kites, between Pat Bingham, Peter Barrand, myself and others we isolated it's identification.
Samantha Greiner

Dollarbird Kangaroo Gully Rd Kangaroo Flat
Single Dollarbird sitting in middle of road .Then flew and perched on fence post before flying off.Seemed lost or disorientated.
Terry Bromfield

Sat 30 Oct Australasian Figbird, Australian Koel Metung
Female type Figbird seen from Maeburn Cottages, pm of 30/10 & am of 31/10; male & female Koels seen & heard both days, same site.
P S Lansley, Scott Baker, Paul Dodd, Ruth Woodrow

Koel Coolaroo Victoria (3048)
This bird has appeared in our street on several occasions in the last 5 days, though I have only seen a single bird there are more than one because you can hear others calling back and forwards. I have identified it by it's call. According to the bird book I have it's normal range is in NSW and above, so I am curious if this sighting is unusual in this location. Thanks Sheriden.
Sheriden Tate

Fri 29 Oct White-browed Woodswallow Murray-Sunset NP
a pair of WBWoodswallow seen along Trinita road in very hot weather on Friday. My first sighting for the spring, very late. Then on Saturday ( raining and cooler) c.200 seen over Nowingi track included a few Masked.
simon starr

Dollarbird 5km north of Beechworth
A pair of Dollarbirds sitting in a dead gum tree.
Corrie & Ian Macartney & Will Bridgeman

Dollarbird Noojee
A Dollarbird flew over east of Noojee this morning. I was unable to relocate it.
Brian Johnston

Thu 28 Oct Little, Red-chested and Painted Button-quail Terrick NP and Patho plains
Painted BQ's calling and seen in Terricks forest. Many Little Button-quail calling in grasslands of the Terrick NP. Red-chested Button-quail reported from private Trust For Nature grassland.
simon starr

Little Tern Pt Wilson, WTP, Werribee
A large flock (30+) of breeding and non-breeding Little Terns were seen with a single White-fronted Tern amongst them on rocks to North of boat ramp. Also a Blue-winged Parrot and a Wood Sandpiper nearby.
James Dickson

Wed 27 Oct Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo Bentleigh East
Flock of about 20 flew over Brewer's Road/Marriage Road intersection with Nepean Highway. They were flying towards the coast. Very unusual for this area.
James Bailey

Common Tern, Fluttering & Short-tailed Shearwater Seaholme foreshore
At least 22 Common Tern on rocks along the foreshore opposite Surf St, all appeared to be adults in basic plumage. Just offshore was a large feeding flock of at least 50 Fluttering-type Shearwaters, a couple of STSW and many Pacific Gull, Silver Gull, Crested Tern & Aus. Gannet
Steve Davidson

Powerful Owl Yarra Valley Parklands of Ivanhoe.
Six Powerful Owls seen as two families 2 km apart. Each family group consisted of one adult and two well grown and alert juveniles with fluffy white fronts and dark faces. One adult (female) was clinging to some possum remains. One family group was in the high canopy of a deciduous Acer species growing through a river gum canopy and the other group was perched under a tall conifer canopy. The other parents were not seen.
Peter Thomson and Mal Kidson

Tue 26 Oct Eastern Koel Marlo
An Eastern Koel was heard calling continuously from roadside Southern Mahogany gums within the Marlo township during the late afternoon of 26/10. Another Koel was also heard calling around 3am on the morning of Thursday 28/10 but this time much closer to the riparian vegetation along the Snowy River estuary.
Len and Jacquie Axen

Dollarbird Rodwell rd Tambo River - Tambo Upper
Single bird heard then seen perched in dead tree then headed downslope to the river.
Faye Bedford

Eurasian Tree Sparrow Yarrawonga
Abundant in centre of town.
Lawrie Conole

Blue-faced Honeyeater Hume Hwy roadhouse ~3.5km SW of Seymour
One bird carrying food, presumably feeding young on the other (west) side of the freeway. How long before they establish in the outer metro areas of Melbourne?
Lawrie Conole

Purple crowned Lorikeets Werribee River, Western Treatment Plant
Pair of Purple crowned Lorikeets nesting in a small hollow near the Werribee River inside the WTP (at the newer area at the eastern end of the plant).
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Mon 25 Oct Swamp Harrier Mont Albert North
One overlooking Bushy Creek from a low perch among eucalypts.
Knud Hansen

Plumed Whistling Duck Patho Plains
18 Whistling Duck along with 150 Woodies at a farm dam along Monahan Road, a little way north of Echuca-Serpentine Road.
Simon Starr

Channel-billed Cuckoo, Eastern Koel Metung, East Gippsland
Both species now well-established in Metung township: Channel-bill first noted 18 Oct, and Koel at 2.40 am 20 Oct. These have become regular summer visitors to area in last few years.
Camilla Manvell, Sue Welte & Bob White (per Chris Healey)

Sacred Kingfisher, Wood Sandpiper, Ruddy Turnstone Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Sacred Kingfisher: on power lines on Metro Farm Rd (1).Wood Sandpiper: conservation pond 9 as reported earlier (2). Also 3 Ruddy Turnstones and 1 Bar-tailed Godwit at end of beach rd
Chris Lunardi and Richard Akers

Arctic Tern Ricketts Point
After finding only a single Common Tern at Mordialloc at 0930, and no commic terns there at 1500, two Common Terns and an Arctic Tern seen roosting amongst 200+ Crested Terns on rocks at the south end of Ricketts Point at 1530-1600.
Sean Dooley

Blue winged Parrot Western Treatment Plant
Single bird seen feeding on the "driveway" up to the birdhide and then same bird seen perched nearby. Was calling a fair bit but didn't hear any other birds replying.
Paul Randall (wingsonwire.com)

Barbary Dove Brighton Dunes (Dr Jim Willis Reserve)
A pair is "back" - or newly-liberated? - here too. The gap was 6 months as compared with the 9 months at Altona and one was seen 3km south in the Sandringham foreshore on 19 September.
Michael Norris

Sun 24 Oct Four-legged Black-fronted Dotteral Conservation Ponds, Werribee Sewage Farm
Took this photo of this odd Black-fronted Dotteral on the little pond next to the gate on the western Conservation pond. 4 legs! I did notice beforehand that a chick ran under the wing & hid there. The legs are the only thing sticking out. Still an amusing photo!
Kevin Bartram

Wood Sandpiper, White-winged Black Tern, Brolgas etc WTP, Werribee
A pair of Brolgas at southern end of salt marsh on Point Wilson Rd with 2 half-grown chicks. Heaps of Fairy & Little Tern on Beach Rd rocks with 1 White-winged Black Tern. 1 sick looking Short-tailed Shearwater, mobbed by Silver Gulls also seen N of rocks. Waders seen on rocks include: 5 Ruddy Turnstones (2 juveniles), & 1 Bar-tailed Godwit, heaps of Red-necked Stints. Very few Sharp-tailed Sandpipers on farm. 2 Wood Sandpipers seen on small pond north of Western Conservation Pond. Also a pair of Black-fronted Dotterals with 3 small chicks. 1 Black-tailed Godwit at Borrow Pits. 1 Black Falcon flew past on Beach Rd in evening.
Kevin Bartram

Tawny Frogmouth & Grey Butcherbird Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne
A Tawny Frogmouth first heard calling strongly in daylight (7pm) and then seen near the kiosk. Also a Grey Butcherbird being harassed by two Australian Magpies.
John Barkla + Alison Street

Sacred Kingfisher, Nankeen Night-Heron, Eurasian Coot & Australian Reed-Warbler Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
A pair of Sacred Kingfishers displaying, 9 immature Night-herons (no adults), 6 pairs of Eurasian Coots either on nests or with young of varying ages (Moorhens and Swamphens also with young) and calling Australian Reed-Warblers were RBG highlights of 43 species in a 2 hour walk from home in Fitzroy.
John Barkla + Alison Street

Sat 23 Oct Arctic Tern, Common Tern and White-fronted Tern. Mordialloc Beach
One Arctic, four Common and at least three White-fronted Terns on the beach, north of the jetty, with 50+ Crested Terns. A grey and wet morning meant that I was one of only two people to venture down to the beach after lunch. Many thanks to Dean (forgot your surname, sorry) who was on his way to Tassie for his help in identifying the Terns.
George Pergaminelis

Fri 22 Oct Budgerigar Whittlesea Yea Road Yea
Four wild budgies (green) and one roadkill. When I stopped to look at them a local women riding past said she had often seen them in the area. Sighted on the flats before you head up to Junction Hill.
Chris Cobern

Arctic Tern, Common Tern, White-fronted Tern Mordiallic beach
Great views of Arctic Tern on beach to north of pier also at least 6 White-fronted Terns in vicinity and also Common Tern (at least one on beach to south of pier. Arctic Tern gave great views for 08:10h to 10:45h. disturbed several times but returned to beach. Thanks Dave for helpful hints on moult of Arctic Tern AND local knowledge metered car-parking! Photo by Craig Morley of Arctic Tern & Silver Gull.
David Stabb, Rob Ganly, Craig Morley

Fri 1 Oct Willie Wagtail nest Glenhope near Kyneton
A mate told me he has a wagtail nest in his shed. He had to be mistaken–probably a swallow's nest, I thought. I was wrong–it is a wagtail nest (see photo). In nearby Castlemaine friends have crimson rosellas nesting inside the eaves of their house.
Dave Dickson

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by Birds Australia - Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.