birding-aus

Fwd: [Raptor_conservation] photographers threaten endangered Hen Harrier

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: Fwd: [Raptor_conservation] photographers threaten endangered Hen Harriers in Holland
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:24:46 +1100
Hi all,

I think some things have changed with the introduction of DSLR cameras and
are being overlooked in this discussion. Without detracting from the concern
that "some bird watchers" threaten the security of their target bird, the
matter has become much wider.

For example, the photographers harassing the flycatchers at Bowra earlier
this year were not "birdwatchers", they were "photographers". All they
wanted were top images of birds for entry into photographic competitions.

I met them there but left the day after they arrived so missed the damage
they supposedly did. I do know however that they were very excited to have
the opportunity to photograph "Leaden Flycatchers" at the nest. They knew
they were "Leadens" and not Restless because one "had rusty orange on the
breast". They had checked their field guide and I could not persuade them
otherwise.

I ate my dinner with one of the photographers in the shearers shed and he
was telling me all about his camera club and what the rules were about the
images eg no digital manipulation, the images had to be as they were taken,
hence the need for no branches obstructing the view etc. Photoshopped images
could not be used in their competitions. And some of the photos were
exquisite, even if the bird was misnamed.

It is still the minority giving the rest a bad name but they are no longer
all "birdwatchers", "bird photgraphers" have now joined the "birding"
fraternity.

cheers

Jen