birding-aus

NSW Atlassing

To: "Ralph Reid" <>
Subject: NSW Atlassing
From: "Paul & Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 21:17:33 +1000
Hi Ralph,

I can't coment on what happened to your suggestions for improvement of the NSWBA data collection and handling system as I don't know. However, I can say that there is provision in the data entry system for the habitat details to be entered, and make their way into the database. I will agree with you that the system needs improvement and have been pushing for this myself for some time.

You are not on my copy of the membership list, are you a member? If you were you would have seen my note in the latest newsletter regarding habitat recording and why I think we should dispense with it, basically because most birders are not sufficiently skilled to identify the different habitats and secondly, because most sheets that come in involve multiple habitats and it is impossible to tell which bird was in which habitat.

In defence of the committee I should point out that they are all very busy at the moment putting together a NSW Bird Atlas publication. They are all volunteers and give their time freely for the love of birds. They are not professional data management people. It's like most clubs and societies in this country, the general members complain about the committe and the way they do things but very few put up their hands to take over any of the work of running things when it cames to the AGM and election of officers.

Paul Osborn