birding-aus

NSW Atlassing

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: NSW Atlassing
From: "Ralph Reid" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:02:53 +1100
Greetings

In 2001 I volunteered to perform data entry of NSW Atlassing sheets, and
subsequently was provided with the data entry program and a number of Atlas
sheets by Brian Curtis; from memory, I processed several hundred data sheets.

I commented to Brian Curtis on what I saw were several deficiences both in the
sheet design and on the way in which data entry was made.  In particular, the
sheets asked the observer to record habitat type details, but there was no
provision in the data entry program for this information to be entered onto the
database.  Also, I considered that it was practicable to redesign both the
Atlas sheet and the data entry program to allow for sub-species/hybrid forms
specifically to be recorded.  There were other points also, but these two
mentioned above were the main ones.

Brian Curtis suggested I forward these suggestions to Don Howarth, which I did
in November 2001.

It occurred to me that one of the main sticking points might be in the
re-design of the form, so I did a quick version of it to show you what it might
look like when re-laid in accordance with my suggestions for the inclusion of
more habitat entries and named subspecies and also forwarded this to Don
Howarth on 29 November 2001.

I considered I was wasting my time doing data entry for what I considered an
obviously inadequate and easily-corrected system, and ceased my data entry
volunteering.

Time passed.  Nothing happened.

In October 2005, still having heard nothing, I contacted Murray Coward,
Secretary NSWBA, providing him with duplicates of my original letters to Don
Howarth.  He subsequently advised he had sent a synopsis of them to the other
members of the NSWBA executive, and said further "I will let you know of the
outcomes of any responses".

More time passed.  Nothing happened.

In May 2008, I queried Murray Coward as to any response or update, without
reply.

More has time passed.  Nothing has happened.

Does anyone know what is the current situation with NSW Atlassing and data
collection forms?  The suspense is killing me.

Regards

Ralph Reid