birding-aus

'Myiagra' Flycatcher

To: Jeff Davies <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: 'Myiagra' Flycatcher
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 07:05:58 +0930
No it wouldn't be the first record for Satin Flycatcher for the Top End.
I've a record from Douglas Hot Springs, July 1988, and there's another from
Anbangbang Billabong, Kakadu mid-1991  (Annotated List of Birds of the Top
End, Thompson & Goodfellow, 1989).

Also there's an unattributed note in the Annotated List (could be Estbergs,
Hertog or McKean):  'glossy plumaged birds were reasonably abundant on
Bathurst and Melville Islands Dec 91-Jan 92' and the author thought they
were Satin Flycatchers not Leadens.  This note throws up the difficulty of
identifying this species from Leaden.  I saw my bird in the middle of
monsoon vine-thicket, but luckily, in good light.  I've seen a few since
then that might have been Satins, but conditions often preclude accurate
identification.
Denise