birding-aus

Nikon Monarchs and don't put your binos on the car roof!

To: <>
Subject: Nikon Monarchs and don't put your binos on the car roof!
From: "Bob Dawson" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:57:26 +1000
Hi all

I am in the market for a new pair of binos having driven off after stupidly
leaving my Bushnells on the top of the car while doing some spot lighting on
a recent trip to Darwin. Not a great loss as they were a 10 year old $200
pair on their last legs and I was about to replace them anyway. Still, not
the way I wanted them to go out. I would have preferred having them as a
spare!

I cannot justify the cost of one of the really top pairs available so I was
looking at the Nikon 10x42 Monarch DCF HP WP which retail here for about
$750 odd. I have a small 10x25 Nikon pair that I use for travelling and find
them great. I have looked at the archives and the Monarch seems to get a
pretty good rap from most people that have them but the postings I have
found are all over 3 years old.

Are they still a good buy? Or is there another pair that people think are as
good or even better? Also, I would actually prefer 10x50s, do people think
there is much benefit with the extra?

Kind Regards

Bob Dawson