birding-aus

FW: raptor identification help needed

To: Graeme Gallienne <>, birding aus <>
Subject: FW: raptor identification help needed
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:12:31 +0930
Hi Sandra

Gordon Beruldsen put out a booklet called Raptor Identification and I think
Penny Olsen also has a field guide to raptors.  You seem to have covered
most of the important points in your description.  the first thing to look
for is the shape of wings and how they are carried in flight.  That is
drooped, flat in a V, are the wings pointed, in the shape of a bow or
fingered on the ends.  Patterning and colouration and what the bird was
doing are the next issues.   Birds of prey have different ways of looking
for and catching food which can be a guide.

>From your description immature Brahminy sounds ok but two at once I dont
know about and the white on the head, is something that is a little
confusing.   Little Eagle carry wings very flat and is not such a ' stocky'
bird as Brahminy kite.  I am sure others will give you some good advice.

Gary