birding-aus

RE: Bird Alert - Clearly something is not working....

To: "'Simon Mustoe'" <>, <>
Subject: RE: Bird Alert - Clearly something is not working....
From: "Steve Potter" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:46:09 +0930
Thanks Simon,

My comment was more, light hearted than frustrated. I was just interested if
others had experienced this type of situation??

I had this situation earlier this year when I drove straight past the Bird
Billabong near the Mary River after fruitlessly spending 2 hours searching
around the flooded excavation pits for Gouldian Finch. On arriving at my
next destination I discovered on Birding-Aus that some one had seen them 3
days earlier there and had delayed posting it due to their travel.
Apparently they are still there

I was delighted to get the Little Grebe in Darwin a few years back. But
again that info came from the lady (Dawn) at Darwin Water who told us on
arrival for the key that "a rare bird of some description has been seen
there over the last few days/week". No reports had come in until later. The
problem was now we were amped to find the "rare" bird but had no idea what
to look for? Fortunately a local birding couple were there also and was able
to let us know what it was!! We soon found it but if we had not known what
to look for, we would have totally missed it among the A. Grebes.

Fun and games...

Cheers

Steve Potter
Blackwood, South Australia