birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 01:30:41 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Jul 2010.

Sat 10 Jul      Black-browed Albatross Off Toragy Point, Eurobodalla NP,
near Moruya
4 individuals seen relatively close to the shore. Also seen nearby was a
probable Flesh-footed Shearwater following a boat.
David Krippner and Michael Krippner

Fri 9 Jul       White-fronted Chat Ash Island, Newcastle NSW
Approximately 30 birds feeding on mudflats and amongst sedge grass.
Easily observed at close range
Brendan Cook

        Scarlet Robin Mittagong
A male seen perched on power-lines along Old South Road, near The
Hermitage, late afternoon. This is my fifth locality for Scarlet Robins
in the Southern Highlands.
Lorne Johnson

        Glossy-black Cockatoo Lower Mangrove
1 Male, 1 female obs. perched in Casuarina glauca adj. to Mangrove
Creek.
Warren Brown

Thu 8 Jul       Southern Giant Petrel (juvenile) - Macronectes sp.
Lighthouse Beach (Port Macquarie) NSW
Beachcast juvenile bird found by my holidaying cousin Susan Cribb and
verified by myself. Approx 2 metre wingspan and 91cm body length. Bird
now in NPWS freezer for Aust Museum collection.
Tony Bischoff

        Azure Kingfisher Manly Lagoon
The 2nd time I've seen an Azure Kingfisher here this month.
Joshua Bergmark

Tue 6 Jul       Eastern Reef Egret, White-fronted Tern Long Reef, Sydney
One dark morph Reef Egret around rocks at low tide, as well as at least
1 W-F Tern roosting as the tide came in.
Henry Coleman

Mon 5 Jul       Pheasant coucal Ironbark Flat, Audley, RNP.
A pheasant coucal (non br) flew low across Sir Bertram Stevens dve from
the Pt Hacking side to Ironbark Flat - after the steep rise just south
of Audley - around 7.30am on 5 Jul.
Bruce and Rebecca Roubin

        Buff-banded Rail Empire Vale, near South Ballina
Located half way through the Empire Vale school zone on the river side
of the road, a single Buff-banded Rail was sighted twice in two days in
same spot at around 1300 each day. Far from shy, it was happy to walk
towards me as I took photos, eventually stopping 7-8 metres from me as
it fed.
Nigel Coghlan

        Southern Boobook Cabbage Tree rd, Bayveiw, Sydney
One owl calling persistently around 5:30pm. Seen high in a gum tree.
Henry Coleman

Sat 3 Jul       Double-banded Plover, Bar-tailed Godwit Deeban Spit,
Maianbar, RNP
13 Double banded plovers (incl.1 in full br plumage) and 13 bar-tailed
godwits were roosting on the high tide near the tip of Deeban spit, off
Maianbar.
Bruce Roubin

Sun 20 Jun      Pacific Baza, Little Eagles, Scarlet-Robins,
White-throated Gerygone Air Services Land, Shanes Park (approx. 10km
west of Blacktown CBD).
This morning Mark Fuller and I enjoyed some good birding at Shanes Park.
Highlights included a Pacific Baza foraging and feeding on phasmids (I
have seen the Bazas in the area on several occassions in the past), a
pair of Little Eagles (one light-phase and the other a dark-phase bird.
I have also seen both light and dark-phase birds together on another
occassion at Shanes Park), 2 Scarlet Robins (one male seen very well and
another heard calling), several Rose Robins, at least 2 Speckled
Warblers, Crested Shrike-tits, an over-wintering White-throated Gerygone
calling, Musk Lorikeets, 2 Shining Bronze-cuckoos, Varied Sitellas, at
least 10 Yellow-tailed Black-cockatoos, etc.
Edwin Vella & Mark Fuller

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers
Club <http://www.cboc.org.au/>  and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea