birding-aus

Capturing Princess Parrots and Scarlet-chested parrots in the wild even

Subject: Capturing Princess Parrots and Scarlet-chested parrots in the wild even though common in captivity
From: "Donald G. Kimball" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:59:11 -0700
Hi Folks:

I thought I would weigh in and ask some questions here since being from
North America I might have a different perspective.  As someone who has been
delighted to see and film both of these 2 species in the wild in Aus and
having kept princess in my aviaries in Canada I had some thoughts on this.

First of all I might need some help here but regarding Princess is there not
literature that suggests that even relatively recently on the Canning Stock
Route it has been recorded that nests have been robbed and historically
other locations as well?  If so since Princess are cheap even here in North
America (I can obtain a pair for about 450.00 US) why would nests be
vulnerable to predation by humans?  Is egg-collecting common in Australia
like the UK?

Regarding Scarlet-chests I am wondering the same thing.  I havent had
aviaries now for 20 years but if I put on my aviculture hat on I am
wondering if the appeal would be for genetically rigorous stock from the
wild to inject into aviary blood-lines.

Please understand I am not wanting to kick any sleeping rottweilers here
with my thoughts.  I simply love parrots and would feel saddened to  know
any indiscretion on my part may have caused the demise of nesting success
with these 2 species in the wild.  One thing to consider on a global bird
conservation scale  is that we dont even know how common Princess are in the
wild let alone what specific requirements they need to thrive as they are so
under studied.

Thanks for your feedback on this one as I constantly am confronted with the
difficulty of whether to reveal specific locations on these 2 species or
not.

Cheers!

Don Kimball
http://polytelismedia.wordpress.com/