birding-aus

Re: Raven's stealing golf balls.

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: Raven's stealing golf balls.
From: inger vandyke <>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 04:29:32 +0000
Heya Mark,

I don't know but I do know that Ravens love golf balls.  I once watched one
from my office window grab a golf ball, fly up on to a neighbour's roof then
experiment with it.  It would take the ball up the roof, drop it and let it
roll down to the gutter.  Each time it took the ball a little higher and let it
roll to see what the ball would do.  The last time, the Raven took the ball to
the highest pitch of the roof and let it roll.  The ball hit the gutter,
bounced off it, on to the neighbour's car, set off the car alarm and the next
minute the neighbour came running out.  They had a hard time believing my story
but they did confess to hearing some strange noises on the roof before this
happened.  It was such an inquisitive bird, but then that's Ravens all over.

Maybe the Raven is caching the balls to secure them from rivals who might steal
one?

Were they white?  Or fluoro coloured?  The abovementioned golf ball was fluoro
orange.  I have often wondered if colour has anything to do with it?

Any light that can be shed on this would be interesting.

Cheers,

Inger

Inger Vandyke

Professional Wildlife Photographer and Writer
Expedition Leader - Heard Island Expedition  (11 November - 15 December, 2010)
Assistant Publicity Officer - Southern Oceans Seabird Study Association (SOSSA)

Mob:  0402 286 437

www.ingervandyke.com
www.ingervandyke.blogspot.com

Please join the Heard Island Expedition online
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=372344967432&ref=ts
www.heardislandexpedition.blogspot.com
www.heardisland.com.au