birding-aus

Gulls over Sydney Harbour Bridge at night

To: Kurtis Lindsay <>
Subject: Gulls over Sydney Harbour Bridge at night
From: Ben Hope <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:45:55 +1000
Kurtis,

Several thousand silver gulls roost and nest in the harbour (Cockatoo
Island, Goat Island, Snapper Island and under the Anzac bridge, I have also
heard they do the same at Homebush bay). I suspect they are foraging around
the lights for insects taking advantage of the light source on the bridge to
eat insects, you also see them active around the harbour foreshores at night
(i.e. on both ocasions not far from roost sites). The circling I would guess
is due to the fact that the light fades in a circular pattern around the
lights resulting in a concentration of insects close to the lights,  they do
laps around whilst foraging (micro bats do similar).

If it was a courtship display i would ecpect that it would be a seasonal
occourence.

Cheers,
Ben