birding-aus

Gulls over Sydney Harbour Bridge at night

To: Kurtis Lindsay <>
Subject: Gulls over Sydney Harbour Bridge at night
From: <>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:43:34 +1000
Hi Kurtis,

I've often wondered about this. I'm not a biologist so I am only offering my
observations and guesses.

I've seen the gulls at Homebush Bay do exactly the same thing. Sometimes just
after sunset and only when it is very still and hot they will fly high above
Powells Creek (above where they would normally roost on the wrecks and in the
refuge) and fly around in a swirling mass of gulls, some of them making tight
turns. It certainly looks as if they are catching flying insects and the fact
that they only do it on still and hot nights would support this assumption.

The difference with the harbour bridge is that here they only do it on
occasional nights and the episode does not last that long. There are no lights
in the immediate vicinity as there are no tall structures like the bridge.
There is Rhodes shopping centre and the Liberty Grove buildings with Rhodes
giving off a lot of light but the gulls' activities are not centred around
these; they are over the creek. My guess is that here they are feeding on a
mass insect emergence where the insects take to the sky to mate.

I think gulls are certainly adept at catching flying insects and the lights of
the bridge would provide a magnet for them on a regular basis. As gulls are
opportunists, they will keep an eye on what other gulls are up to. Aside from
discarded chips & burgers, I've seen a similar frenzy of feeding activity on
king tides when the high water washes leaf debris down the creek. The gulls
congregate together in midstream to pick at the leaves for castaway insects.

Cheers,

Jono