birding-aus

A Brief trip to the Top End - correction

Subject: A Brief trip to the Top End - correction
From: Rob Geraghty <>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 02:44:02 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Everyone,

It's been suggested that the Flycatcher I saw at Fogg Dam was a Broad-billed
Flycatcher not a female Leaden Flycatcher.  Both species are recorded at Fogg
Dam.  By comparing my photos with the images and descriptions in the Simpson &
Day Field Guide (7th Edition), I believe it's a Leaden Flycatcher because:
1. The wings appear to be more brown and less grey
2. The throat colouration is only faintly rufous
3. The distribution of the Broad-billed Flycatcher is described as being more
coastal (yes, I realise that it has been recorded at the dam).
4. In the Leaden Flycatcher description it says the "wings, tail feathers,
[are] pale edged, diffused into underparts".

I have two photos;
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/SZ04r16eSv9sweY6qAUS9w?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/photo/qbSUVmCrlPGFOsidsNtpZA?feat=directlink

I'd appreciate any feedback as to why people might feel that it is one specis
or the other, and why. I should add that I'm happy to be corrected with my ID,
but I'd like to be convinced why my ID is incorrect. :)

My apologies for the poor images - the light in the monsoon forest was not
great, I was too far away with a low contrast 300mm lens and using a camera
that I'm still getting to know.

Rob
=======
Rob Geraghty