birding-aus

SW Qld and the floods.

Subject: SW Qld and the floods.
From: Chris Gregory <>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 23:53:35 +1100
I caught the end of an interview this afternoon on ABC (Sydney) drive time
radio with Richard Glover and the Lady Mayoress of St George.- maybe it's on
podcast.

She said she was no spring chicken and had lived in the area all her life
but never had she seen such conditions. The grass already was waist high and
that was just from the rains in Jan. The upstream dam (can't remember the
name) was now over flowing and pumping 200 megalitres a day and would for
several more days. She said the old timers and their collective memories all
talked with awe of the great rains of the 1890's but these recent falls had
beaten those records.

On the need for assistance she seemed quite sanguine and seemed to indicate
whilst there would inevitably be some short term problems everyone, after
years of drought, was just so excited about what this would do for the local
economy and environment. I got the feeling they were dancing in the
streets. She also indicated conditions would last easily into spring. So no
great rush but augers well for Sept/Oct. Watch out for nude "grey" nomads
running around though..

Following the Christmas and New Year rains in Qld and inland NSW I posted a
few weeks ago a report that NSW and SA governments had agreed on a release
of some 200 gigalitres from the Darling to flush out the lower Murray lakes.
Good for a year or so they said. So Bill this will come on top which is
excellent news.

Cheers
Chris Gregory