birding-aus

Combining BA - BOCA About Bloody Time!

To: Simon Mustoe <>
Subject: Combining BA - BOCA About Bloody Time!
From: Ian May <>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:05:29 +1030

Hello Simon

Thank you for your reply. No, my comments about BA supporting cannon netting and wader leg flagging are not meant to be a digression but intended to demonstrate the cultural difference between the clubs. This is an important distinction and if the BOCA bird friendly ethic is to be maintained within an amalgamated structure, the new organization can not support destructive research practices such as bird banding.

Regarding your other comments about the use of shark liver and other berley on pelagic trips, in the context of the discussion about club amalgamation proposals I think this subject may be an excellent topic for a separate discussion.

In respect to your reply below, over the years I have carefully considered the potential impact from chum use on birding pelagics. My conclusion is that provided "fresh, uncontaminated chum" is used, adverse impacts on sea birds are negligible because, usually months occur between scheduled pelagic birding trips, chumming stops are brief and in these circumstances it is most unlikely that any birds would hang out to their detriment away from normal feeding grounds. In this scenario, pelagic birding impacts are of no concern. Sea bird behaviour change caused by attraction and dependence to discarded offal from some commercial fishing boats during extended trips is a potential concern. Birds may stay with a boat for great distances, possibly drawing away and separating from their natural feeding grounds. However experience shows that at sea, where there is available food, there are usually birds.

Regarding your other comments about the collection of shark liver contributing to potential impacts on already over fished top line predators, it should be noted that shark fishing in Australia is part of a sustainable managed fishery Sharks are not caught here for harvesting of livers. Livers are normally discarded at sea as offal during the gutting process. Shark livers retained for pelagic birding operators are separated out by the fishing operators more often as a favour in exchange for a contribution of some pocket money for the crew who collect it. In Australia the keeping of shark livers for pelagic birding does not provide any additional incentive or reason for fishing.

Regards

Ian May
St Helens, Tasmania
currently at Price SA
Mob: 0428337956

Simon Mustoe wrote:

Ian,

I'm not sure how wader study activities are a factor in the merger between BA and BOCA. Surely that's an animal welfare issue and a digression? Birding pelagics use copious amounts of shark liver and are contributing to over-fishing of top predators and, at the same time, modifying the behaviour of seabirds at sea (an equally manifest animal welfare issue and something I personally have strong views on). However, despite the fact that BOCA and BA run pelagics, I would never consider this to be an over-riding factor in any decision to support / not support a merger. It just doesn't make sense. There are much more significant conservation issues at stake.
Regards,

Simon.