birding-aus

climate change & bird distribution

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: climate change & bird distribution
From: Ian May <>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:21:36 +1030
As most of us know, population dynamics are influenced by so many other
natural and artificial factors.   Climate change should be suggested as
a credible cause for species decline and range shifts only when impacts
from all other influencing variables have been evaluated. If robust and objective scientific analysis is not a pre requisite for a climate
change supposition, there is danger that a manageable problem may be
masked and overlooked.

Ian May
currently at Price SA

Stephen Ambrose wrote:

John Leonard said:

"Any changes as a result of global warming would be against a background of
general habitat fragmentation, alternation and destruction that has been the
case since Europeans arrived in Australia."

John makes an extremely valid point here. While I join the majority of
people in the belief that humans are contributing significantly to global
warming, I think we must be careful about attributing ALL recent ecological
trends to climate change. I believe that habitat clearance, fragmentation
and degradation has altered the distributions of many Australian bird
species, either as range reductions or expansions, depending on the species.
Increased predation and competition between species has also influenced the
distribution of many bird species.

While there is strong scientific evidence that links climate change with
changes in distribution and abundance, migration times and breeding times of
bird species, it seems as if in the last 10 or so years we have largely
forgotten these other influences, which may or may not be greater than the
influence of global warming.

Stephen Ambrose
Ryde NSW

 wrote:

I think Canberra would make a very good study for the effects of
climate  change on bird distribution because of the Canberra
Ornithologists Group  records and database and because of the fact
that Canberra is on the  borders of diferent ecological zones
(coastal/inland, lowland/highland).

My own feelings after 16years of residence in Canberra are the
general  impoverishment of the bird fauna. The wet mountains seem now
to be drier  and their distinctive birds harder to find, the lowland
woodlands also seem  drier and many species that used to be easy to
find (Hooded Robin, Diamond  Firetail and Brown Treecreeper) are now
more difficult. Conversely drier  zones spp such as White-browed and
Masked Woodswallow are now more common.

The last 20-15 years have seen a drying trend in the Canberra area,
with  autumn rains in particular not being anywhere near historical
levels.

You would have to disentangle any trends that could be due to causes
other  than global warming, eg

1. More western vagrants could be spotted and recorded due to there
being  more observers and a better recording system than in the past.
This same  reason might also underestimate the decline in bird spp (i
there are fewer  birds, but a greater percentage of them are being
observed and recorded).
2. The Canberra bushfires of January 2003 destroyed much of the
vegetation  of the mountain forests, and although it is regenerating
it wil be many  years before the forest are back to true wet forests.
Of course, you could  say the extent and destructiveness of the fires
was due to the drying  trend, which you could also say is due to
global warming. But how do you account for one off, stochastic events in this sort of analysis, as opposed to long-term gradual changes?
3. Any changes as a result of global warming would be against a
background  of general habitat fragmentation, alternation and
destruction that has been  the case since Europeans arrived in Australia.

John Leonard

On , Gary Davidson <> wrote:

I cannot add to data on Australian birds, but some might be
interested in similar observations from western Canada, particularly British Columbia. A few years ago, some concern was expressed about
a few species common in  southern BC - their numbers were declining.
It was not until later that  it was discovered that there was a
corresponding increase in their numbers further north. Their numbers may not have been declining after all, just shifting northward. This is all fairly recent, so there is not much in the way of hard data
yet, just birders' observations. As I recall  Common Nighthawk was
one of the first species. There is one  biologist/geographer in
Vancouver doing some research on this topic and I understand he does have some fairly convincing evidence of range shifts, which he is linking to climate change. I don't know if he has published anything yet, but I can make some enquiries. If anyone is interested in
further reading on

this topic in the northern hemisphere, contact me privately and I'll
see  what I can find out.

Gary Davidson